HDI starting problems

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

harrishawk

HDI starting problems

Post by harrishawk »

I have a 306 2lt Hdi diesel that has starting problems.
I turn the key and if i hear CLICKING noise every time i turn the key it will not start will turn over but will not fire.If i keep turning key on and off until i hear no Clicking coming from the Glow plug relay it will start first time and drive Superb. Glow light doesn't come on either. Have changed both relay switches Near the ECU and had a low pressure pump about a year ago. I have no engine management light showing .I am at my witts end not knowing if my car will start today or not. Some days will start no problem other days it happens all the time.
Please help im desperate.I feel like smashing it up at the moment
mbunting
My Cars:

Post by mbunting »

Hi,

I'm pretty sure the HDi glowplugs don't activate until the temperature is very very cold, ie. about 2c or lower.

I'd check all fuses are firmly seated, and check all obvious connections in the engine bay - in particular those relating to any fuel pumps.

I would have suggested the immobiliser arial ( usually around the ignition lock ), but I'm not sure if these immobilise the starter or the fuel pump.

Mat.
405 STi Auto Est
Cruise, Aircon, Sunroof
np
My Cars:

Post by np »

I often dont see my glow plug light on at all,only unless its very cold.I think common rail engines dont need glow plugs so much because of the high pressure the fuel is injected at.
When you turn on the ignition can you hear the electric fuel/lift pump prime?I.E pump the fuel from the tank?When i turn my ignition on i can here my pump run.Could be a lose conection??
53`406 est SE Hdi 140,110k