How do I get my 206 onto axle stands?

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

christopherpm

How do I get my 206 onto axle stands?

Post by christopherpm »

I have a trolley jack and two axle stands, but I'm not sure how to jack the car up to get the stands underneath.

I don't want to jack up each side individually in case I might end up twisting the chassis...

How do I get the car onto the stands properly?

Thanks
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Hi Christopher and welcome to the forum :D

The risk of twisting the chassis is minimal. I's not an Austin Allegro :lol:

I always place the axle stands under the hardened sill jacking points, in the same place as you'd put the wheel changing jack.

To achieve the height required to do this, use the trolley jack to raise the car up by jacking on somehwhere solid, never on the bodyshell itself or more importantly, the rear axle tube. I jack up on the front subframe close to a suspension point and at the rear, in a similar place. If you choose to jack on a flat fixed surfce where the suspension anchors you cannot go far wrong. Always use a block of wood between the jack foot and the part you're jacking onto to avoid damage.

Get an axle stand on its lowest height under a sill jacking point, let the weight onto it and do the same on the other side. If you want to go higher, take the axle stand heights up in stages to avoid significant twist on the bodyshell. Always keep all doors and boot shut when jacking.

Hope that helps..
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
christopherpm

Post by christopherpm »

I'm clear on where to place the axle stands, but not quite so clear on the "front subframe" - unless it's mentioned in a Haynes manual, I have no idea what I'm looking at :oops:

Do you have, by any chance, a photo or a link to a diagram to show where I can place the trolley jack?

Thanks
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

If you look under the front you will see the front suspension wishbones bolt, via bushes, to the front subframe. In this area you'll see the subframe is tough and substantially flat. This is the perfect place to jack on. A subframe is just a tough framework that holds the suspension and is in turn, attached to the bodyshell, much like a sub-chassis.

You will find a similar arrangement at the rear of the car.

I'm sorry I have no illustrations of the area :(

The Haynes manual should give a guide to where it is safe to jack and support the car. Alternatively, pop into your local fast-fit tyre place and ask their advice on where they'd jack it up...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...