fan won't let engine warm up above 71

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Clogzz
My Cars:

Post by Clogzz »

Still think that there's an intermittency between the brown sensor and Bitron input.
The STOP light coming on is from a false indication of overheat.
With new sensors, there’s still the wiring and connectors to suspect … see my story up the topic.
There’s been a Citroën free modification that eliminates the plug/connector on the inner wing near the battery:

http://xu10j4r.free.fr/xantia/notexantia.pdf
2002 C5 2.0i AL4 230,000 km 76372389
greg123
My Cars:

Re: fan won't let engine warm up above 71

Post by greg123 »

They typically run around 70 on teh gague. Don't presume that means your thermostat is faulty, from cold check the rad hose doesn't warm up and the rad stays cold till the stat opens when the gauge is at least at 70. If in doubt, first step is to fit a new thermostat.

The 1.9td in a big body of the 806 isn't that economic, maybe 40mpg, bit more if you are gently. Brim the tank, 0 the trip meter, do a full tank of driving, brim it and work out the miles per litre/gallon.

Further more, the thermostat shouldn't be letting coolant out to the rad till it's hot enough, regardless if your rad fan was fused on all the time, it should not affect the temperature of the engine - it's there to ensure you have enough cooling capacity, you can't have too much as the thermostat just closes when the engine starts to get too cool!

Many other factors play in economy, nozzles, timing, valve shims, gearbox oil, general servicing, tyre width and alignment, pressures etc.

Good luck,
Greg.
theasylum wrote:i have a peugeot 806 with xu9tde 1.9td engine i have had it for about 6months its had a new head when i got it. the problem i have is a full tank aprox 70ltr only returns aprox 400 miles. im not sure but i think i should be getting more than this. my temp gauge only gets to 71 then the fan cuts in and brings it down to 70 so my guess is im using so much fuel as my engine is always cold. ive changed all three sensors by the thermostate but still the same.
does anyone have some kind words of wisdom
Tdi VAG mechanic & vegoil converter