non starter

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Ross
My Cars:

non starter

Post by Ross »

just picked up another project - lol - its a 205 1.6 CTI Convertible on a "D" plate - nice little car with lots of potential but it won't start without a good squirt of easy start down the intake
Once started in this fashion it runs and drives fine with no problems (yet) so I assume this must be a fueling problem - it wont start again even when the engine is warm.
Before I start has anyone had this problem before or have an idea what the problem is - it must be something relatively simple as everything else seems ok ?
All help gratefully received
Thanks
Ross
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Hi Ross,

A very common cause is failure of the coolant temperature sensor or the wiring to it.

It's located on the side of the water block just above the SAD. Look for the hose going to the heater on the LH side of the engine, look back a little and you'll see it screwed in with a blue 2-wire plug on it.

Otherwise, it'll be down to air leaks on the inlet tract anywhere south of the AFM; another very common cause.

Lastly, AFM or ignition amplifier.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Ross
My Cars:

Post by Ross »

Evening all -got a few issues I could do with some help with on the new project -
the vehicle is a 1.6 CTI with fuel injection all on an "E" plate
ever the optimist had a good look roung today and there are a couple of things

How do I identify which engine type the vehicle is ?
How do I know if its multipoint or single point injection ?
Has anyone got a photo of what the engine bay should look like - there seems to be a lot of space at the back of the engine
For some reason the drivers door now refuses to open although it did work when we picked it up - the keys are ineffective
How do I disarm the immobiliser below and to the side of the steering wheel - I keep offering the silver disc type key to the unit but it wont disarm - I know it did once as I have had the car running.

Other than this the bonnet polished up nicely - lol

Thanks Ross
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Hi Ross,

Easy answers..

It'll have the early XU5J (105bhp) 205GTi engine. For a positive ID, look for the plate just under the cylinder head at the front on the cambelt end of the engine. This'll give an engine code in a threeletter/figure code, e.g D6B. Another clue is the XU5J has blue injectors.

It'll have Bosch L-Jetronic Multi-point injection.

The big open space at the back is where the standard air filter should be. I guess it has a "performance" cone job on it now...

The immobiliser is best removed if it does not work. It won't be a factory-fit but an add-on. They usually interrupt the starter solenoid supply, the fuel pump supply and the injector supply, Both the latter supplies will be interrupted near the tachymetric relay. You'll more than likely need the diagrams in the 205 BoL to sort that lot out and chances are you'll find a mass of black wires coming from the immobiliser and the immobiliser itself very poorly fitted.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Ross
My Cars:

Post by Ross »

Thanks CJ - new you would know and would read the post - lol