306 HDi head gasket replacement

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

simonaoz

306 HDi head gasket replacement

Post by simonaoz »

Is it possible to change the head gasket without removing engine on a 2001 306 HDi ( no turbo )
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Hi Simon,

Welcome to the forum :)

Although I've not had the pleasure, I'd be very surprised if the head won't come off in-situ. Most engines will, the exception being the 2.1TD but I know for a fact the 1.9TD head will come off OK.

It all depends if you can effectively get the manifolds off. Whatever, it'll be a squeeze and like a lot of jobs on a PSA vehicle, it will be just doable for a contortionist with 10" fingers :twisted:

You may well be better advised to pull the engine right out. It could be quicker and easier in the long-run. I've been there several times and one day I'll take my own advice :twisted:

What is the problem with the engine?
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
simonaoz

Post by simonaoz »

Hi Jim,

Thanks for the reply. It looks as if the head gasket has gone as the water system is over pressurising. Water is being forced out of the radiator cap. My local garage who normaly service the car say that the engine would have to come out and that I'm looking at a £1000 bill at least, maybe more, if for instance the head is cracked.

Simon.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Hi Simon,

This post may help. I appreciate it's for a 206 but the basic principles will apply..

http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... ead+gasket
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
simonaoz

Post by simonaoz »

Thanks. Is it basically the same engine then. I guess there must be even less space in a 206