205GTi water leak

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

jonnydrumm1967
My Cars:

205GTi water leak

Post by jonnydrumm1967 »

Hi
Every time it rains the front passenger footwell resembles a boating lake in my 205! It's a 92 model with the vacuum sunroof fitted. Could it be a drain tube's kinked/blocked/split or wrongly routed?

Can't see any water staining or marks on the door trims etc.
Looks like I'm going to have to take up the carpets and trims to see if I can trace it.
I can hear the sunroof working when I close it so I presume it's working ok.

Any ideas?

Thanks, Jon.
2000 XANTIA HDi 110 SX Est
1992 205 GTI TD
1996 DISCOVERY TDI
2001 XANTIA HDi LX
1991 205 D Turbo
matt
My Cars:

Post by matt »

Ive never had any bother with the sunroof on mine,try the rear side window seals.Remove the side trim next to the rear seats and have a look in the cavity there,water could be getting in via that cavity to your footwells

http://forum.205gtidrivers.com/
92 205 1.9 GTI(MODIFIED,SORRY )
1996 VOLVO 850 2.5 5CYL 10V
1999 EXPERT VAN TD - WHITE !
No more car's thanks!
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

The only sunroof problem can be the handle studs sometimes leak. Simple to fix by replacing the washers around the bolt heads.

My old 205GTi drove me batty with leaks :twisted:

As Matt says, the primary suspect is rear quarterlight seals and they're not expensive to replace. Pug still supply them.

The next suspect is the membrane behind the door card. This MUST seal tightly against the metal of the door to deflect water leaking down the window glass to the bottom of the door and out through the drain holes. If it is not sealed, water runs down the card and over the sill and onto the carpet.

Anoter suspect is the cortesty light switches and the cable sheats/grommet that go from the "A" pillars to the doors.

Finally, don't dismiss the windscreen. It is not unknown for rust to get hold under the rubber in the corners and then let water in.

Do have your carpets up sooner rather than later. Fortunately, the floorpans rarely rust even when they have been soaking wet.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
jonnydrumm1967
My Cars:

Post by jonnydrumm1967 »

Thanks for the info.The car's been garaged over the winter but it's going on the road soon. I might take it out in heavy rain and have a squint about,see what I can trace. It's only the front passenger footwell that floods so I'm guessing it's coming in round the door area.

Cheers, Jon.
2000 XANTIA HDi 110 SX Est
1992 205 GTI TD
1996 DISCOVERY TDI
2001 XANTIA HDi LX
1991 205 D Turbo