Diesel Pump

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Ross
My Cars:

Diesel Pump

Post by Ross »

Glad the forum is sorted - Happy if somewhat belated New Year to all.

The 1.5 106 diesel I bought last year is still going well but I was never able to reduce the noise caused by the diesel pump which I was advised by an engineer is somehow out sync with the engine - all the pins line up but no matter what I do it still remains noisy and the only way it could be made quieter was for the engineer to spend an hour adjusting it up without pins - cant believe he did it "freehand" and now I have a pump which runs the car but in which the pins dont line up ?

I have bought a spare engine/box complete with all ancillarys as a spare and when running this engine was very quiet without excessive noise.

Is it possible to transfer the diesel pump from the spare engine after locking it with pins and transfer it to the engine in the car (also locked with pins) or will I simply be left with the same problem of a noisy pump as the "new" pump will inherit the timing problems from the engine in the car.

Sorry if this sounds a bit odd but I am reasonably good at most home mechanics but if the pins arent lining up which I understand is essential to the timing of the pump I dont understand how to affect the pump timing to fall in line with the rest of the engine and remain quiet.

Any comments gratefully received

Thanks
Ross
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Hi Ross -

Cant say for sure you will gain anything at all - replacing the dieselpump :roll:
You will most likely end up with exactly the same problem again - except the "new" pump has to be aligned different from your "old" pump - and still not be within the pinning to lock axles.

Ever heard about old mechanics tuning a carburettor by ear - to optimize an engine running ?
Its exactly the same principle here.
You go by the hot engine diesel clatter, then slowly and precisely turn/adjust the pump to exactly sit right under the noisy point.
It is in fact very simple - even for the first timer :wink:

Nothing wrong with this method. Its just an indication that your diesel pump can not stay in perfect showroom condition for ever. Its a mechanical device with lots & lots of small moving bits inside, which all wears slowly over time.

As for the reference locking of axles : you really only need to do this when replacing the timing belt. And thats not even necessary :
mark up old belt and cogs with aligning marks using Tippex. Then with old belt off - transfer the old belt tippex markings to the new belt and fit it to the Tippex alignment marks on the cogs. Done.
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

I ran Perkins 4/108 engines for many years and you could set the pump timing spot on by listening to the engine. Over advance will cause it to knock excessively and if to far retarded it will be quiet but difficult to start and run hot. It sound as though yours is over advanced. If you undo the pump to front plate bolts and rotate the pump in the direction of engine rotation this will retard it. Move it about 1/8" at a time and then try it. You will probably have to use some leverage as it will be bending the injector pipes slightly.