HEEELLLLLPPPP! 406 locks going daft!!

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

woodhead722

HEEELLLLLPPPP! 406 locks going daft!!

Post by woodhead722 »

Bought 2nd hand 406 (Rreg) early Dec.

After couple of weeks the driver's door would not unlock with key - it simply revolved freely.

So since Ive used passsenger side with no problem.

Today however after brief trip I could not unlock passenger side (pictires scrambling through boot!). Guess what - the driver's door worked! There is central locking.

Dreading when neither does.

Any suggestions please?
mbunting
My Cars:

Post by mbunting »

I had this problem with my now defunct 406, and basically lived with it.

If the lock spun when turned, I simply took the key out, and put it back in again - worked every time.

Presumably this is a wear issue on the barrel ( never used to happen on the passenger side, somewhat ruling out key wear ).
405 STi Auto Est
Cruise, Aircon, Sunroof
woodhead722

Post by woodhead722 »

I could also live with the problem, but am scared both may not work. As long as one does - no problem.

It feels a bit stiff occasionally when working, but loose as hell when revolving, and I'm not sure if a screwdriver would have the same effect i.e. keys not reqd or maybe lock frozen in keyed position ( but scaping barrel - may be on wrong idea completely).

Don't understand what is moved by key rotation (60 degrees?) its as if something (rods?) have fallen from inside. But if that was the case - how did the driver's side reppair itself of it's own accord?

Have only seen 205 locks & rods before.
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

The key moves a rod back and forth according to lock/unlock. But the lock barrel will not clutch the rod, unless the key code tumblers enables the clutch claw in the barrel.

I still think it may be a simple key issue, where the key itself is mechanically worn thus not releasing the barrel at random. Be sure the lock barrel is soaked internally with proprietary lock lubing and any de-icer additives. Only use the correct stuff, and do so several times over a couple of days until you can feel by hand things are lubed up internally.
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
woodhead722

Post by woodhead722 »

" But the lock barrel will not clutch the rod"

What do you mean by this please. I've seen lock before where there is like a tab on the back with a hole to locate the rod, but don't understand what you mean by CLUTCH the rod.

Tonight the barrel revolved (irrespective of how far in the key was - a screwdiver could have done the same) but mysteriously it worked after I rotated it 360 degrees first. It worked after this first rev.

Chance or mystery?