Which 306?

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Martin Beevers
My Cars:

Which 306?

Post by Martin Beevers »

Hi all,
I am thinking of getting a 306 TD. I would like to run this car on veg as I do my 95 Xantia 1.9 TD. I understand the Xantia is running OK because I have a Bosch fuel pump.
Is this the case with the 306? I think they use the same engine.
What else should I be considering?
95 Xantia 1.9TD SX - Now sold
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Be careful with the 306 1.9 TD Martin.

A lot of them used the Lucas pump and these are NOT compatible with veg. A Lucas pump is easy to spot as it has a flat top and a long cylindrical object sticking out of the side. The Bosch pump has what looks like a UFO on the top of it.

Apart from that, the 306 is a fantastic little car, just a big 205 really, with all the same attributes. I look after a friends 306 TD and have a great deal of time for them, especially the fact that I actually spend very little time keeping it in good order!
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Martin Beevers
My Cars:

Post by Martin Beevers »

Cheers Jim,
Just as I thought, What models are worth a look? I hear that HDI's will go wrong if you add veg.
I'm hoping to get a car to match my Xantia without the suspension issues... Don't get me wrong, when it's working it's the best. It will be time to call it a day soon.
95 Xantia 1.9TD SX - Now sold
matt
My Cars:

Post by matt »

The dturbo or dturbo sport are quite nice (pre hdi) theres all the other models too like xtdt xldt xrdt etc etc which all share the same engine as the dturbo.

Just make sure its bosch pump tho

Hdi's dont like veg apparently,without heaters etc so avoid

Although the very last dturbo hdi's look very nice(almost like a gti6) and i heard at the time that they had the same suspension and brakes as the gti6 too :D Which can only be a good thing !
92 205 1.9 GTI(MODIFIED,SORRY )
1996 VOLVO 850 2.5 5CYL 10V
1999 EXPERT VAN TD - WHITE !
No more car's thanks!
pug_owner2002
My Cars:

Post by pug_owner2002 »

I had the 97 R reg 306 DTurbo, 3 door in blaze yellow.
I brought it with 50k on the clock and had it for 4 and a half years and sold it with 130k on the clock.
The worst problem I had with it was the turbo dying, but I sent it off and had it reconditioned and it was fine after that.
Handling was good and to be fair the ride was fairly smooth, probably due to the bucket type seats which are comfortable!
I never ran it on veg but now wish I'd given it a go.
R Reg Phase 2 306 DTurbo (Blaze Yellow) (Sold)
X Reg Phase 3 306 1.4 LX (Sold)
03 Renault Scenic Dynamique +
03 Seat Leon 1.9 TDi
52 Nissan Almera 1.8 sport+
DirtyGertie
My Cars:

Post by DirtyGertie »

Hi

From surfing various sites and forums i believe the Lucas pumps were fitted to 306's (XUD9TE Engine) built from 97 onwards... but i could be wrong
I am currently running on BioDiesel (B100 & B30) and have had no problems so far.
Vera 2001 5dr 106 1.5D 56k
Gertie 98 5Dr Dturbo No Cat or EGR over 130K R.I.P lost fight with 7.5 Truck :(
evildiesels
My Cars:

Post by evildiesels »

The wife's got a 306 xrdt 1996 model, it has the Spewcus pump on it :cry:
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

evildiesels wrote: it has the Spewcus pump on it :cry:
:lol: never heard them called that before! I've heard them referred to by lots of other rather unsavoury names, some that question the parentage of the pump...

I don't understand the general dislike of Lucas pumps. Apart from their inability to run veg, they're fine in my experience.

If (when) they spring leaks, they're a lot easier to repair on a DIY basis than the Bosch.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
uncle buck
My Cars:

Post by uncle buck »

If the Lucas pump was fitted from 1997 on you may find it hard to find a good pre 97 car!

If you find a car you like but with the Lucas pump why not change the pump to the Bosch.

The guys will tell you whats required to do this. :wink:
2006 C4 1.6 HDi 16V (92) non FAP
2001 Xsara II 1.4 LX
2001 Renault Laguna II 1.9dCi Sport Tourer
Plumb bob
My Cars:

Post by Plumb bob »

My '96 306 has a lucas pump. :shock:

I was looking to replace the car next year with an estate version due to the need to transport dogs, what are the estates like in comparrison?
Rob

Working for the man.

Driving a 1996 Pug 306 TD