405 heater woes

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Village
My Cars:

405 heater woes

Post by Village »

hello there,

My colleague Paul has a '95 'M' 405 1.9 TD with a heater that won't heat.

It appears that hot water is going into and out from the matrix as both inlet and oulet pipes are hot. The fan will blow air through all the vents as per the ventilation control position.

Do any of you kind folks have any suggestions for him?

PS the car has A/C too if thats significant.

I'll persuade paul to register on the forum, as I'll be away for the next 2 weeks to get married, so he'll have to pick up your answers for himself.

Cheers
Pete
French car free zone....
matt
My Cars:

Post by matt »

Join the club! Mine has been like it for a year now,the pipes directly into the matrix are hot both ways but no heat.

I can only presume there is a blockage inside the matrix somewhere,ill get round to changing it sometime and when i do ill be looking at this guide-http://grapevine.net.au/~nixhouse/artic ... rcores.htm
92 205 1.9 GTI(MODIFIED,SORRY )
1996 VOLVO 850 2.5 5CYL 10V
1999 EXPERT VAN TD - WHITE !
No more car's thanks!
Brian UK
My Cars:

Post by Brian UK »

It's probably the stepping motor which controls the hot/cold air flap. If the flap is in the cold position, you are not getting any airflow past the matrix.
Brian.
Village
My Cars:

Post by Village »

where abouts is the stepper motor, and is it easy to get at/repair/replace.

I would imagine that as its a french car, the heater controls are the second bit to be added after heater matrix an the rest of the car built around it......
French car free zone....
Brian UK
My Cars:

Post by Brian UK »

To be honest I am not exactly sure. You might be able to tell if it is that though as you should be able to hear it operating.
With ignition on, at least to the first position, no engine running though, turn the heater fan to zero, just to remove the noise.
Then push the button for recirculating air. You should be able to hear the flap inside moving. If so good. Then try moving the hot/cold control. Again you should be able to hear that flap moving.
I think you can get at them from the side by removing the side panel on the driver side.

One other suggestion. Does it have a small square grille in the facia just to the right of the glove compartment? This is the temp sensor for the cabin. There is a little fan at the back of this which draws air in from the cabin. It is possible this has stopped, so no air is being drawn in, and so the system thinks it is warm as the air behind the facia will be warmer than the cabin. You should just be able to hear this fan too.
The other possibility (which happened on my 307) is that this sensor has dropped out of place, and is no longer lined up with the little grille.
Brian.
amjake

Post by amjake »

Hi Brian UK

Thanks for that tip, had one of those smiley air freshener things on a clip pushed into that tiny vent and couldn't understand why my heater kept going hot/cold.

Browsing posts saw your tip, removed and hey presto heater now responds correctly.

Cheers mate

Kevin