Peugeot 205 Dturbo Oil leaks

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

edthedrummer

Peugeot 205 Dturbo Oil leaks

Post by edthedrummer »

I recently removed the sump from my 205, in an attempt to cure an oil leak. The gasket was replaced, as well as a bead of hermetite red on the block face, and the sump face.

There is however, still an oil leak. From what i can see it appears to be coming from about 3 different places.

1) below the oil filter, where it screws onto the engine, so it leaks down the front of the sump, and drips off.

2) There seems to be some sort of oil pipe into the back of the block, with a large bolt attaching it. There is a slight trickle of oil from there i think, and the bolt doesn't look as if its done up very tight, because its sticking out of the block and i can see some of its thread. I haven't tightened it up, because i don't know if its meant to be tight or not.

3) At the top of the engine, at the back, where the manifolds are, there is a dowel type object, with a bolt through it, attaching it to the head ( i presume) I can see that this is leaking oil. What is it and how do i cure it?

Also, after about 15minutes driving, the car loses pick up in second and third gear, i've not tested fourth and fifth yet. the first 15mins she's fine, the turbo boosts up correctly, but after a while, there is just nothing.

Whats going on? And how can i finally put an end to these pesky oil leaks!

Thanks,
Edward.
15 year old rebuilding a 205dturbo.
johnna

Post by johnna »

Hi Ed,

IB from PPC here!

Far from being an expert, I have however seen a number of XUD's and they have all been leaky. Perhaps it is planned as an undersealing action! LOL!

I've little else to add.

Sorry!
Bosch! Chip Fat!
matt
My Cars:

Post by matt »

Hi,id try tightening that nut(at the back of the engine) gently first,it might just be enough to stop it leaking.Although you will be lucky to stop all the leaks and as johnna says its good rustproofing!

As for the oil filter,does it screw straight to the block or does it have an oil cooler type thing? id try a new filter.

Soory cant help more

ps,isnt the 1.8 td a tu engine?
92 205 1.9 GTI(MODIFIED,SORRY )
1996 VOLVO 850 2.5 5CYL 10V
1999 EXPERT VAN TD - WHITE !
No more car's thanks!
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

matt wrote:ps,isnt the 1.8 td a tu engine?
No, XUD7. Turbo but without an intercooler. Goes like a scalded cat :lol:

XUDs are a bit oily but should seal reasonably well.

1) fairly normal, especially if it has an oil cooler fitted there. New gaskets needed.

2) Turbo oil return pipe. Try a tighten, reseal.

3) ? May be the turbo oil feed pipe. Have off, inspect, reseal.

XU sumps are a :twisted: to reseal generally. At least the sump is not leaking :wink:

Power problem. Check your valve clearances. XUD7s are renowned for closing them up but normally it makes them hard to start... Worth a check though.

Also, check the integrity of your turbo trunking and the boost sense pipe back to the injection pump. This often persishes and lets in air.

As I say, the 205 TD should go like a bat out of hell :wink:
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...