Strange Wear on 205 Clutch

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Strange Wear on 205 Clutch

Post by CitroJim »

I've just replaced the clutch on Dad's 205D. Nice job. I did it single-handed using an engine crane on the gearbox. Dead easy.

The reason why I replaced the clutch was because it was very fierce, heavy and jerky. A bit like a racing clutch :roll:

The driven plate was like new but the diaphragm spring was in a terrible state. The release bearing had worn a deep groove on the spring tips. This was what was causing the fierceness and jerking but the release bearing itself was OK except for a broken clip where it attaches to the operating fork.

Question is, what caused all this wear? The clutch was terrible when Dad first got the car and he is very gentle on clutches and does not ride them. We did notice the ex-owner was a bit harsh with it.

Lastly, the old clutch was a pattern "AP" one. I replaced it with a Valeo and now the clutch is an absolute delight, light as a feather and nicely progressive.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
504GLD

Post by 504GLD »

Sounds exactly the same as the clutch plate I took out of the 504D, the sprint tips had a groove in them. Perhaps this is normal!? I didnt have clutch problem though but the 504 is hydrolic not cable so it could be a bit more forgiving.
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

This is the common way that most clutch types wears out.
The release bearing will always groove into the finger spring tips, and then its catched there during declutching, causing a heavy & snatching pedal.

The reason is that the release bearing dries out in the grease and develops friction under the heavy load its exposed to when it press against the springs.

I really DO hope that you replaced that release bearing, despite it looked and felt perfectly OK :?: :roll:
Its false economy NOT doing it, as it wont survive the next clutch plate anyway :!:
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Oh yes Anders, bearing replaced!

I once many years ago re-used an old release bearing and lived to regret it :lol:
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
philhoward

Post by philhoward »

Sounds like the previous clutch issue was done on the cheap with just a plate...for all the effort involved, i always change all 3 pieces (as do we all?)
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

... as do we all Phil :wink:

But that wont help. Still the first wear problem showing up will be the release bearing grooving into the finger springs ...

I suppose this simple mechanical system still has some engineering left for a good old DIY'er coming up with a great idea :D
Back in the "good old days" the friction plate used to wear out as the first item, causing the clutch to slip.

We all know that industrial grade high durability pressure bearings are available. Next thing is to modify the contacting between the bearing and the spring finger tips to make it last.
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image