problem of 406 after ignition

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

jonasy

problem of 406 after ignition

Post by jonasy »

re: 406 2.0auto gasoline (VIN:VF3**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff])
70,000KM

Even now at summer morning, after the first ignition, RPM cannot get up to normal 1300, at most 1100, then start to wobble for 10sec. and then it goes up to 1300(or step on the gas).
or, under a little lower temperature(20c), after ignition, the engine strongly wobbles, then flameout.(if give a step on the pedal before flameout, or restart after flameout, everything seems normal)
besides, I found, for each time of ignition, the rpm is always a bit lower than normal.(for example, when the engine is not cold enough, rpm should be 1000 while ignition, then it is aournd 900, then wobbles, after a little while, up to 1000)
I have cleaned fuel pump, injectors,changed new fuel filter and spark plug.

Your kind help would be high appreciated.
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Whats the model year of this 2.0L Peugeot ?
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

My first thought here is a problem with the MAP sensor, most likely the pipe from the inlet manifold leading to it letting in air and upsetting the mixture as a result. Quite a common problem. You can often hear a hissing noise indicating an air leak.

This problem can be caused by inlet manifold air leaks anywhere from the throttle body onwards.

Another cause can be the Coolant Temperature Sensor not sending the right signal to the ECU telling the engine it is cold and thus needs a rich mixture.

Does the car run better when it has warmed up?
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
jonasy

Post by jonasy »

AndersDK wrote:Whats the model year of this 2.0L Peugeot ?
from the VIN, 2001, i think.
jonasy

Post by jonasy »

citrojim wrote:My first thought here is a problem with the MAP sensor, most likely the pipe from the inlet manifold leading to it letting in air and upsetting the mixture as a result. Quite a common problem. You can often hear a hissing noise indicating an air leak.

This problem can be caused by inlet manifold air leaks anywhere from the throttle body onwards.

Another cause can be the Coolant Temperature Sensor not sending the right signal to the ECU telling the engine it is cold and thus needs a rich mixture.

Does the car run better when it has warmed up?
yes, it seems normally after warm up.
"from the throttle body onwards"? or backwards?
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

jonasy wrote:yes, it seems normally after warm up.
Air leaks between the throttle body and the engine are the most fatal to a MAP-based system. Check the inlet manifiold gasket for leaks by spraying WD-40 on the joint and looking for it being sucked in and also check every pipe going off themanifold, not forgetting the brake servo.

Given that it is OK once it is warmed, the Coolant Temperature Sensor is worth a check. Check its connections first as they can corrode from small coolant leaks.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
jonasy

Post by jonasy »

citrojim wrote:
jonasy wrote:yes, it seems normally after warm up.
Air leaks between the throttle body and the engine are the most fatal to a MAP-based system. Check the inlet manifiold gasket for leaks by spraying WD-40 on the joint and looking for it being sucked in and also check every pipe going off themanifold, not forgetting the brake servo.

Given that it is OK once it is warmed, the Coolant Temperature Sensor is worth a check. Check its connections first as they can corrode from small coolant leaks.
thanx a lot, ill check them.
jonasy

Post by jonasy »

today checked possible problem of air leak, it seems ok, please ignore this possibility.

please note: for every ignition, the idle speed is always a little lower than the level it should be, then wobbleds, after a while, goes up to normal idle speed.
hcloh
My Cars:

Post by hcloh »

If it happens occassionally and you have changed everything else.. then the MAP sensor is on the way out too.

It happended to a friend of mine a coupled of weeks ago and after changing it the idle problem just dissappeared.
"Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first. "
Ronald Reagan
40th president of US (1911 - 2004)
jonasy

Post by jonasy »

hcloh wrote:If it happens occassionally and you have changed everything else.. then the MAP sensor is on the way out too.

It happended to a friend of mine a coupled of weeks ago and after changing it the idle problem just dissappeared.
it happens after all the long-time ignitions.(several hours or one night ,or engine turns ignition off under lower temperature.)