Blowing Fuses

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

OwenP
My Cars:

Blowing Fuses

Post by OwenP »

OK I have recently had one of the fuses in my 405 blow, specifically the number 16 fuse, which is for the fag lighter.

The only thing I use the lighter for is either running my g/fs PDA charger or a battery checker recently after problems with the battery. When the fuse went it was a couple of seconds after plugging the checker in.

The same fuse has blown a couple of times since I've had the car now, is this indicative of a problem with the circuit? or should I be using the 16A socket for running anything other the the lighter?
2001 406 Rapier 2.0 HDi 90 Estate - Sold Scrap after being viciously attacked by a falling tree
2001 Toyota MR2 1.8 VVTi - To be sold for spares/repair - dead gearbox :(
2014 Seat Ibiza Eastate 1.4 FR ACT (bought in an emergency, but a nice enough low mileage car)
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

I'd suspect the socket itself. They can fail by wear & tear and shortcircuit themselves.
Either this or the cable to the socket.
Standard cigarette sockets are available at some £2-£5, even illuminated variants.

Using 2 male spade connectors crimped on wires, you can insert this instead of the fuse, then connect a heavy wattage bulb (an old headlamp bulb) to the wires. The bulb will light up instead of the fuse burning, when you are tracing the problem, like wriggling the socket with a connector inserted.
Makes fault tracing very simple, and you feel like a wizzard on car electrics ... 8)
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image