IAT (air intake temp sensor)

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

amjake

IAT (air intake temp sensor)

Post by amjake »

Hi all

Have a pug 405 TD 1996 and I need to know the colour wires that relate to the IAT on the Air Flow Meter which I gather is fitted below the Air Filter Box where the air intake pipe is?

Many Thanks

Kev
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Hi Kev,

A 405TD with an airflow meter (AFM)? That is a new one on me. In 1996 a TD might be using a semi-electronic pump and this would not use an AFM or AIT. It uses coolant temperature, Injector Lift and TDC sensors only. My old 1995 405TD was still fully mechanical.

There are no sensors anywhere around the airbox or intake pipe to the best of my knowledge.

Tell us the nature of the problem you are chasing on this vehicle please :wink:
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
amjake

Post by amjake »

Thanks citojim,

garage concurs with your diagnosis, no problem with car I was just looking to fit a fuel saving device.
Cheers
Kevin
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Errr ...
Kevin ?

You cant fit one of those vacuum sensor dingies that reads out coloured LED's (or gauge) for economy driving - on a diesel !
Because a diesel is not throttle flap controlled - and thus dont have a varying vacuum according to load. They have a near constant pressure in the intake. But air flow will of course vary dependant on engine revs.
Then again you already have a rev counter ?

Best thing you can do to is fitting a speed pilot to maintain a constant drive speed, whenever traffic allows for.
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
amjake

Post by amjake »

Sorry Anders

You've lost me mate but the product I was looking at fitting is the fuel saver device that runs with Petrol - LPG - Diesel.

No flashing LED's or guages !!

Take a look at....

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Demon-Tuning

If you can save 10-20% by simply fitting a little black box (not in my case!!!) then that's a good deal to me

Cheers

Kevin
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Ahaaaa...

So you want a magic box - go ahead then :twisted:
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
Brian UK
My Cars:

Post by Brian UK »

Those fuel saving boxes are for petrol injection. They will not be worth a cent on your car, if indeed you could work out where to put one.
The way to save fuel on a mechanical turbo diesel, as in the 405 TD engine, is to watch your right foot.
Just try this one day.
On a clear bit of road in 4th gear, with engine at say 1800 rpm, put your foot down hard and feel the accelleration. Slowly lift your foot until you feel that accelleration reduce. This is the point where you are getting best economy. Putting your foot down further only pushes more fuel into the engine, which will not burn, so is wasted.
So as you drive, whenever you accellerate, always check that you do not have your foot too hard on the pedal.
It will always go better if you work on the turbo boost part of the rev band, ie. keep it over 2300 rpm or so when trying to accellerate.
Brian.
amjake

Post by amjake »

Please Guys can we leave it there!!!

We have established it won't work (wouldn't work - thanks citrojim and my garage) on a mechanical diesel. It came with a money back so not worried.

Thank you for all your help, Kevin