partner van fails mot on smoke emmissions

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

robzondrumz

partner van fails mot on smoke emmissions

Post by robzondrumz »

Lads,
My van failed the MOT on the new smoke emmission test....bummer! Anyone else had this or know possible causes....valves, tired engine??Going to take it to a garage or two but would like to be a bit forewarned.

thanks in advance

Rob
philhoward

Post by philhoward »

Bottle of injector cleaner and an "Italian Decoke"...up to the rev llimiter in 2nd (or 3rd) gear and hold it there till the air behind is...well, not a cloud anymore! Check the air filter is spotless beforehand, though!
robzondrumz

Post by robzondrumz »

Phil,
Thanks for that. Just changed the air filter, will give it a go tomorrow. Is it as simple as that?
504GLD

Post by 504GLD »

I agree, a good italian decoke, take it out for a run let it get hot, then drive it hard in 2nd gear until the rev limitor kicks in, drop off the revs a bit, and back on, pumping it on off I find works best until the exhaust is nice and clear.

Make sure the air cleaner is good, and of course change the engine oil they both help lots.
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

As simple as that ?
yes - BUT be sure the engine oil & filter is fresh.
1) old used engine oil will freak up an emissions test
2) you dont want to push your engine to its limits on old and contaminated lubricant :roll:
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Additionally, I'd not do an "Italian Decoke" unless I knew the timing belt was OK.

If in any doubt at all, change it.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Brian UK
My Cars:

Post by Brian UK »

As long as the timing belt is well within its replacement time interval, it should be OK.
I always use this method before an MOT, and have never had a problem so far. Smoke readings are also quite low, well within the requirement.
Brian.
amjake

Post by amjake »

I posted a note on Ametech Restore oil a while back and got to say I'm very pleased with the results so far, quiter running, boost in power and still 45mpg!

http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... hp?t=21816

Many testify to reductions in smoke emmissons too might be worth a can prior to MOT or injector clean/italian tune up.

kev
robzondrumz

Post by robzondrumz »

thanks for all the posts lads.....will do the 'italian job' over the weekend and take back for MOT next week.

Rob
504GLD

Post by 504GLD »

"amjake" am = amtech by any chance? using an oil additive will hide or mask a problem not fix it, making it worse in the long run I reckon!
amjake

Post by amjake »

"amjake" am = amtech by any chance? using an oil additive will hide or mask a problem not fix it, making it worse in the long run I reckon!
504gld, In response to your insinuation, I have nothing to do with ametech only as a user of the product.

( amjake = acronym of my full name ie. ke=kev, am=mark, etc!!! Administrators can verify!)

If you read my post on the additive then a car on 200k + fsh with no problems other than being an 'old girl'. If the stuff makes as big a difference as it has then its worth a try rather than spend big money on uneconomical rebuilds etc. considering the age, mileage and value of the car.

IMHO, It's the same as running with millers/redex/stp to keep injectors clean or greased lightening/Slick 50 to stop engine wear etc.

If it was dodgy/dangerous then I am sure we'd hear about it like we did when Shell introduced Formula Shell and the recent problems Tesco's had with their additions to their range of fuel!!! As I said his ebay record speaks for itself and then there's always trading standards if it doesn't do the job claimed.

In all fairness I think your statement also relates to the suggestions of an 'Italian Decoke' we've all done it for the MOT but as you stated 'it only hides or masks a problem not fix it etc.'

My corner has been defended :wink:

Kevin