Battery - Quick answer needed please.

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

OwenP
My Cars:

Battery - Quick answer needed please.

Post by OwenP »

I'm starting to look for a new battery for the 405 as I think the current on is on its last legs.

Any ideas on where to look for a cheapish one?

My budget us really limited at the moment as I only have £80 a week to cover everything.

Cheers.
Last edited by OwenP on 15 Aug 2007, 10:28, edited 1 time in total.
2001 406 Rapier 2.0 HDi 90 Estate - Sold Scrap after being viciously attacked by a falling tree
2001 Toyota MR2 1.8 VVTi - To be sold for spares/repair - dead gearbox :(
2014 Seat Ibiza Eastate 1.4 FR ACT (bought in an emergency, but a nice enough low mileage car)
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

A diesel needs a good 'un and come the winter a cheapie may be a false economy. Get the one specified for a diesel as it has to operate the glowplugs in addition to the starter which has a much more difficult time than a petrol engine.

Look at Halfrauds and your local motor factors but buy the best you can afford and a known brand. Personally, I've always found Halfrauds offerings to be good and not too badly priced.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

£75 for a Xantia TD battery from Halfrauds.
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
caveman_si
My Cars:

Post by caveman_si »

I could say something helpfull like you live in bangor so just park on hill and it will be fine when it dies. But try costco if theres one near you. I got a bosch one for the 405 I had for £35 I think a few yrs back infact it was rated slightly higher then I needed, defo made it start better.
406 lx 1.9td estate
OwenP
My Cars:

Post by OwenP »

Well I'll admit to being an idiot first off.

Remembered to check the water levels in the battery this evening and found one cell very low, so will top up tomorrow (the joys of having de-ionized water on tap at work) and see if that helps, if it doesn't then new battery is still needed.

I've never found bump starting a diesel that effective really...
2001 406 Rapier 2.0 HDi 90 Estate - Sold Scrap after being viciously attacked by a falling tree
2014 Seat Ibiza Eastate 1.4 FR ACT (bought in an emergency, but a nice enough low mileage car)
504GLD

Post by 504GLD »

Head to an autofactors, expect a battery with two year warranty for around £40. Look on Yell.co.uk / Yellow Pages for names like Partco, Camerberley, etc phone round!
OwenP
My Cars:

Post by OwenP »

Right, the old battery is now well and truly dead.

Speaking to the two local motor factors, I have three possible options.

1: 60Ah, 460CCA (poss 480CCA) 38+VAT (what the book says)
2: 60Ah 640CCA 48+VAT (next one up, from a transit)
3: ??Ah 540CCA maybe, no spec given 38+VAT.

Current battery is 60Ah and 590CCA, most websites I'm looking at reckon it should be 525CCA.

Pug say, 540CCA and 57+VAT for comparrison

My gut feeling is to go for the 640CCA one, if it will fit, I think it will but I'm going to check when the rain eases off a bit.

What do you guys reckon?

Cheers
elma
My Cars: Undisclosed

Post by elma »

I reckon, If you havent already, ring ces in llangefni. If you're nice to them they drop the prices so far you wouldn't believe it.
OwenP
My Cars:

Post by OwenP »

Just tried them, will keep a note of the number.

Battery would be 45 inc VAT, but don't know the CCA, and I have no way of getting there easily so will go for one of the local ones.

However I will definitely keep them in mind for future use. Didn't know they were there till now.

Cheers.
elma

Post by elma »

You should've waited a week to break down and I could have given you a lift. I guess your stuck with Farrah road, who are fine anyway and pratco who I don't really like (could you tell?). :D
caveman_si
My Cars:

Post by caveman_si »

I would go for option 2 if I had that set of options.

Of course I would also phone CES if someone suguested I might be able to get a decent battery cheaper there.

Im off for a shop to costco later as I too need to sort out a new battery.
406 lx 1.9td estate
OwenP
My Cars:

Post by OwenP »

Elma, funnily enough option 3 was from partco, I must admit I'm not too keen on them, although they did point me in the direction of Serck Intertruck when I needed a new radiator, came out at about 3/4 of the price of anywhere else. The other two are farrah road. Where are you in Bangor out of interest, only roughly?

Caveman_si, I would like to go for 2, as I say I think it will fit, on measuring the bay it works out at 13"by8", will check on my way past later, and possibly have the fun of carrying a battery the mile or so home.

Otherwise I think I will have to go for the partco one, as I'm not convinced that 460CCA is enough, whatever the book says.
elma

Post by elma »

Used to live at the top of the Llanberis pass. Then Bethesda.
Recently moved to Cardiff for uni but my hearts still in snowdonia.
OwenP
My Cars:

Post by OwenP »

Well I've now got a new battery, in the end I went for a different one again as they'd sold all the 640CCA. So I now have a 660CCA instead that cost £45 all told from C&A in Bangor.

Also had a very nice encounter on the way home, a couple on holiday took pity on me carrying the battery, gave me a hand as far as their car and then gave me a lift the rest of the way home, which was very much appreciated. Just goes to show there are still some decent people out in the world no matter what the media would have us believe.