Rear Brakes sticking

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

shezads

Rear Brakes sticking

Post by shezads »

Hi,

We have a 306 Hdi in the family. Done 107k. We have had the car since Feburary, bought it at 103k. The rear brakes seemed to drag ever so slightly, and the handbrake has always been poor -had to leave in gear, as it would not hold the car properly.

The problem with the breaks got worse recently, so I had a look and the pads have worn down on the rear wheels.

Had a quick look at the calipers, and they seem to be in good condition. Took it to a garage who has said he has checked the handbrake cable, but the mechanic thinks it is the calipers.

I'am not sure that both calipers could need changing at the same time? Didn't want to start changing parts if not needed, so is there anyway of checking to see if a caliper is sticking?

Any ideas of what it could be?

Thanks
Found my Alfa at Last!

04 156 2.4 JTD SW Veloce (Pics coming soon)

In the family:
W 306 HDI
M 306 TD
shezads

Post by shezads »

Just had a quick look and the handbrake cable looks ok. The mechanic said the brake hoses appeared ok.
I understand there is a valve for the rear brakes that operates when there is load in the back. Could this be faulty?

Thanks for any help.
Found my Alfa at Last!

04 156 2.4 JTD SW Veloce (Pics coming soon)

In the family:
W 306 HDI
M 306 TD
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Yes, it could well be if it is allowing pressure to remain in the caliper. They are troublesome on the 309GTi. Flexi hoses can also cause this problem if they are collapsed internally.

The fact that your handbrake is poor does indicate that all is not well with either the calipers or the cables. In my experience, the cables have a nasty habit of the outers rusting via water ingress from small cracks which causes a section of the outer to collapse. It may not be obvious from a quick glance.

I'd relace the cables as a matter of course and give both calipers a really good clean-up, fit new pads and go from there.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...