406 Newbie!

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

sidmon
My Cars:

406 Newbie!

Post by sidmon »

Just got myself a '96 406 1.9 TD Executive. The only problem is it has a few very minor problems. Firstly the remote key doesnt open the doors. I have tried following some simple reprogramming techniques but this hasnt worked. Secondly the sunroof appears to be leaking drops of water when it rains from an unknown area...but it drips onto the front passenger seat. Thirdly it feels like it is idling too low.....when you come to traffic lights...you can real feel it idling just slightly too low (I'd guess around 50/100 revs too low). Also the glovebox appears to be about to fall off when you open it in that it feels like it's only attached and held to the dash on the one side....not sure if thats how they all are though! :wink:
'96 Pug 406 1.9TD Executive
sidmon
My Cars:

Post by sidmon »

Had the electric sunroof/courtesy/maplghts/remote reciever cover off today....there doesnt appear to be a receiver under the cover! Not sure where/what someones done with it but I imagine thats why the remote doesnt work! Any thoughts? :?:
np
My Cars:

Post by np »

The glove box on mine is nice n tight,so it may well be broken,or you may be able to tighten the hinges.
Most sunroof leaks are caused by bloked drain holes.I have`nt got a s/roof,but most have 2 drain holes at the front either side(when the s/roof is open)that run down the A piller & out somewhere around the front wheelarch.Try putting some water down it & seeing if it runs out onto the floor.If not they may be blocked.A thin wire(coat hanger maybe)can be pushed down the hole to clear it. :)
53`406 est SE Hdi 140,110k
sidmon
My Cars:

Post by sidmon »

Cold starting problems are beginning to rear there ugly head. Think its the glow plugs as they have never been changed by either of the previous owners and the amount of grey smoke on start up is bad indicating fuel isn't the problem. What kind of a job is it? I've heard you need a special tool to complete the job...is this correct? :wink:
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Glowplugs are not difficult on a 1.9TD, just a bit tedious.

You'll need a good 12mm cranked ring spanner.

There was an excellent guide published on here a while back detailing exactly how to do it on a Xantia, essentially exactly the same.

Try this one:

http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... hp?t=20675
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
sidmon
My Cars:

Post by sidmon »

Still haven't done the job.....though bizarrely the starting from cold has dramatically improved since Sunday! Got myself some Peugeot branded glow plugs (I presume these will be Beru??). Will possibly be completing this work on Thursday. :wink: