Ametech - Engine Restore Oil

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

amjake

Ametech - Engine Restore Oil

Post by amjake »

I only came across this recently but am impressed enough to pass it on.

I saw Ametech whilst looking for something on the net, investigated further, found nothing to discredit it legally, courts, trading standards etc. only those who claim it to be the old "snake oil" etc.

My experience....

I have a 405 lx td now done 201200 miles, fully serviced every 6000 so it has been looked after but on service garage said "old girl is getting on but does run well"

Saw the Ametech and thought I'll give it a go.

Results...

It is a gradual happening, which they say happens

Up to 500 miles it didnt seem to have much of an effect but noticed a smell from exhaust, however since then and I've now done over 1200 since adding it I've found a big improvement in performance, acceleration etc. It definitely feels more powerful.

It is quieter driving though I wouldn't say there's a huge amonut of difference at start up unlike Quentin's reports.

Fuel economy has improved, around 7%. As the stuff burt in I was having fun with the added power but on a motorway run over 500 miles I did 45mpg to a regular 42mpg.

Also I have had a leaky valve stem seal for sometime and that has stopped, no smoke on start up in the mornings since using Ametech.

So for the sake of a couple of gallons of diesel I would say a good investment worth looking at, though if your big ends are going, the sump has fallen off then it won't help but improving compression and performance then it might.

The guy does offer a money back and has sold plenty via ebay (over 3000 with a 99% + happy) etc. so if it was "snake oil" then many would have kicked off by now.

Take a look at www.ametech.co.uk again definitely worth a look and I do this for the benefit of the forum no commission involved etc.

Kev
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Ummm, Snake Oil is my first reaction to this product but this particular one I have seen briefly and favourably reviewed in a couple of classic car magazines.

Logically, these products cannot work as there is no way to replace metal that has worn away. I suspect its mode of operation is to deposit a moly-type compound on the cylinder walls and other surfaces and generally thicken up the oil. It may be nothing more than a Viscosity Index improver with a lot of Molybdenum Disulphide added. As such, it will do all that it proports to do but not for very long.

The Molybdenum will fill gaps and voids in the cylinder walls on a temporary basis and the VI improver will help ring seal and thus reduce smoking an blow-by.

I have experience with similar products and both staved off the day when real work had to be undertaken. In one case, my first car, a Mini, smoked badly and back in 1977 you could get a product called, IIRC, "Instant Rebore" and it worked well enough for a fair while. When I stripped the engine the bores were very worn.

Many years later, I had a Volvo 340 with very worn big ends and it knocked. A sumpful of cheap 20W/50 and a can of Wynns silenced it completely and would keep it silent for 2,000 miles or so. When the knock came back, an oil change and a can of Wynns silenced it once again. It kept the old girl going for another 21,000 miles until it finally died from an unrelated cause.

A tin of oil additive is no substitute for getting an engine overhauled and is never a magic cure but will help coax a bit more life out of a sick one until a proper overhaul can be carried out.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...