309 help, sitting for 3 years, fails to start.

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

TehAgent
My Cars:

309 help, sitting for 3 years, fails to start.

Post by TehAgent »

Just been given a 309 and need some help please,

The car has been sitting for just over 2 and a half years on my friends drive. it was running when he parked it up, then just left it there when he got his new car.

Just charged the battery and added some fuel, to it, only to turn the key, and get dash lights but no, turn over.

There is a Cylinder (looks like a longer version of the Oil filter) mounted on the rear of the engine that sits ticking, but the start motor fails to even acknowledge a current?

Also, after closing the bonnet, found out that the bonnet cable had snapped, anyone know how to get into the engine bay, with out damaging the car?
1990 Nissan 300zx Twin Turbo (The Fast One)
LeeDJC
My Cars:

Post by LeeDJC »

The bonnet cable can be accessed by getting under the car, and reaching up on top of the rad. The cable runs along there. Depending where it's snapped to, you may be able to pull this and pop the bonnet open.

Also what sort of 309 is it? Petrol diesel etc?

Have you checked the fuses?

Sounds like it may be a problem with the starter motor, or power to it.

If the starter has gone you *should* be able to bump start it, as long as the engine hasn't seized (which is unlikely)

Can you move the car with it in first gear? If so then the engine should be OK.
2004 Berlingo Multispace HDI, 105000
TehAgent
My Cars:

Post by TehAgent »

Sorry its taken ages to get back to you,

Right its a 309 1.4 litre petrol, we tried bump starting it, but realised it had no fuel, but the engine did turn.

Got a funny feeling its a seized alternator as it looks a tad rusty.

Topped it up with a Jerry can full of petrol, will be giving it a good old look over tomorrow.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Well, I never knew there was a 1.4 TU engined 309. Great cars though, a big 205 and all the same fun!!!

The starters in these do give lots of problems. You'll likely find it is a wiring problem between the starter solenoid and the ignition switch. It passes through a couple of connectors, one of which may be in the engine bay and exposed to all kinds of muck which causes it to corrode and not handle the current needed to pull in the solenoid. Us 205 owners know all too well the infamous "brown multi-plug" that sits on top of the gearbox and causes all manner of problems.

To eliminate, hot-wire the starter solenoid ignition switch terminal (the little one on the solenoid) straight to the battery. If the starter now runs, there is your problem.

Alternators rarely seize and can be eliminated by taking off its drive belt.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Brian UK
My Cars:

Post by Brian UK »

I added a relay into the starter circuit, between the ign. switch and starter solenoid, on both the 205 and a 305 which suffered the same problem.
I think the problem is that the ign. sw. terminals are not up to the heavy current required by the solenoid. A couple of other bad connections too, and the whole thing stops.
Easy check is to put large screwdriver across from the battery terminal on the solenoid to the little spade terminal. If this makes the starter burst into life, then it shows the above is the problem.
Brian.
TehAgent
My Cars:

Post by TehAgent »

lol jim, yeah, its a 1.3 litre engine, not a 1.4, didn't even notice i pressed the wrong key.

Ill give it a go and see whats going on.
504GLD

Post by 504GLD »

The 309 came with the Simca 1297 engine from the Horizon/Alpine etc, and the much later cars came with the TU 1360. So you could be forgiven thinking the car is 1.3 if it is TU. Easy way to check is does the car have a plastic cam belt cover? if it does its a TU3 engine.