306 1.4 Cracking Car but not running quite perfect.....YET!!

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

slim123

306 1.4 Cracking Car but not running quite perfect.....YET!!

Post by slim123 »

OK I have bought another Pug 1.4 306, this one for my son, it's a year 2000 vintage.

Problem, Runs good and pulls like a train but will sometimes cut out at junctions etc, sometimes when cruising it will miss a beat and the engine management light will come on, then it will run perfect and the light goes off, all this takes only a couple of seconds to happen.

Now I only got it early on this week and it will be kept on sorn for about a month whilst I give it a birthday and he concentrates on passing his test!! Obvious bits I have done, ie, cleaned out the throttle body housing, replaced plugs and air filter, cleaned idle speed stepper motor.

I have read in a previous post about the coil packs sometimes being the "dreaded sagem" So I checked and it is!! Will this be the likely culprut or am I clutching staws? as with previous experience with the coil packs, they usually pack up completely on 1 x plug (or more)

Anybody got any ideas? as I dont want to replace a perfectly good coil pack, although it did go tits up on my wifes and my daughters, so I guess that these things go in threes as they say.

Next problem, the air bag light keeps coming on, will this be the same as Citroen, the wires under the seats. I keep on hearing about this problem, but never got to have to explore the cause.

Then its inside to the fiddly bits, dash bulbs etc.

Regards
Slim.
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Slim I'm pretty confident you can directly apply all your Citroen knowledge on those Lion badged cousins of ours.
Its only your hydraulics knowledge that will come to rest for a while :D

Regarding the Sagem coil pack - yes a known problem on PSA's in general.

Do the old trick : run the engine in complete darkness and look for any internal 'foggy' blue lightning in the coilpack.
With your experience it should not be a problem setting up any standard coilpack for dizzyless (wasted spark dual coil) ignition systems.
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
slim123

Post by slim123 »

Thanks Anders, never thought of the "old ways"

Had a problem with a rough running Vauxhall Viva years and years ago, I spent all weekend trying to fix it with no luck. Only when it broke down at night I popped the bonnet and got my then girlfriend to turn the engine over and saw a bright blue spark jumping to earth out of the low tention lead to earth, I ripped the wire off the horn and replaced it. It ran a dream afterwards.

Like I say, you never remember the old ways!

I will run it tonight and have a look.

Regards
Slim.
slim123

Post by slim123 »

Well I ran it in the dark, no haze so the coil pack seems to have passed the test!

Popped out to the local scrappys and took out an idle speed stepper motor, whilst I was there got the throttle body hosing and the coil pack, plus a few bits to tidy the thing up, fiver for the lot aint bad, plus I had a good couple of hours out, havent been to the scrapyard for years!!

Idle speed motor fitted and the car runs a treat. The coil pack is worth keeping as I have 3 of these little darlings in the houshold now and they all have sagem units on.

Airbag light is now off, I simply dissconected all of the wires under the seats and re-connected.

Took the car for a 30 mile drive today, not a sign of the airbag light or the engine management light.

Regards
Slim