Cleaning Your Particulate Filter

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Turbo7379

Cleaning Your Particulate Filter

Post by Turbo7379 »

The warning light for the particulate filter on my Brother-in-laws 307 HDI had came on & he was getting quoted £200 for a new one plus fitting ! After reading up on the subject we decided to try cleaning it out ourselves . I understand that the dealers in France offer this service but over here we have to buy an exchange unit .
So on Saturday afternoon I removed the filter & spent 30 mins back flushing it with a steamwasher set at 90 deg but a low pressure . A lot of stuff came out of the filter similiar to ashes & it seems to have done the trick as the warning light hasn't came on since . :D
Brian UK
My Cars:

Post by Brian UK »

I blew mine out with compressed air. Again I got a load of white ash out.

Has he had the warning about the diesel additive level yet? If not, it won't be long. From my own experience, and what I have also read from others, he would be better of topping the reservoir up before the warning comes, as you have to get the warning reset by the main dealers. If you top up the fluid early, chances are that the warning will not come on.
Might depend on year of manufacture, and the type of fluid certainly does.
Brian.
DavidT
My Cars:

Post by DavidT »

Where about is the Particulation filter. I've got a 307 HDI 110. Would a novice like myself be able to perform the maintenance (clean & topup additive)??
Brian UK
My Cars:

Post by Brian UK »

Well there is nothing really difficult about either task, but it depends on your ability and tool kit.
The particulate filter is one of the boxes in the exhaust. Which one depends on the year, as they changed it. Type of fluid also depends on the year.
Brian.
DavidT
My Cars:

Post by DavidT »

Please find my vehicle details below:
Model: 307 HDI DTurbo
BHP: 110
Engine: 2Lt
Year: 2003
Mileage: 52,300

Hope this helps with clarification on what type of Filter, Fluid & detail :) [/b]

Rgds
David
Brian UK
My Cars:

Post by Brian UK »

As far as the aditive is concerned, you have to check your VIN with the dealer. The only information I have is that up to VIN 9492 you use Eolys DPX 42. Peugeot/Citroen part no 9979.95 for a 4.5 litre top up kit. Cost about £92.
After that VIN you use Eolys 176, and the vehicle takes only 3 litres. As this is not the one for my car, I don't know the part no, or cost.
The filter is the first box in the exhaust. there are two types to my knowledge.
Mine has what looks like a standard intermediate silencer, but has a temp sensor in the middle plus a pressure sensor tube at each end. It comes off fairly easily, but watch the various connections.
The later type has a flange in the middle of the centre box, and the filter is the back part. You will need to replace the gasket on this flange.

To repeat, the only way you can be sure you get the right fluid etc is to check with your dealer, giving the VIN. The fluids are NOT interchangeable ir mixable.
Brian.
pugxpert

Post by pugxpert »

the dpx 42 is topped up every 48000 miles and the later 176 is every 72k
EP6T petrol turbo nice engine in the 207 GT and the new mini....
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

This Eolys fluid seems very expensive for what I have been given to believe is little more than paraffin :? From what I understands it is fuel for a bonfire in the filter to burn up the accumulated carbon..

I'm surprised some enterprising soul has not come up with an after-market alternative kit at vastly reduced cost but I guess the ECU reset is the major stumbling block, requiring the intervention of a Pug garage.

Will a vehicle fail the MOT if the Eolys tank is empty and the "Anti Polloution Fault" is illuminated, given that as yet, there is no legal requirement that I'm aware of for either cats or particle filters on diesel cars?
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
DavidT
My Cars:

Post by DavidT »

Thanks Guys

Can you just simply top up with new Eolys fluid or do you need to replace the old fluid?

The Eolys fluid is expensive & I'm surprised also that there's no after-market alternative - :!: FYI I have read that Bosch systems are capable of resetting the fluid level. :!:

All I can say is that my car passed its MOT with this intermittent fault evident the day before its examination. There is no legal requirement but the car can go into limp home mode with "Anti Polloution Fault", so you would need to bypass the filter with a straight pipe & find somewhere suitable for the sensors to gets its correct readings from to foul the ECU.
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

citrojim wrote: Will a vehicle fail the MOT if the Eolys tank is empty and the "Anti Polloution Fault" is illuminated, given that as yet, there is no legal requirement that I'm aware of for either cats or particle filters on diesel cars?
No it wont (as long as it still passes the smoke test)
DavidT wrote:Can you just simply top up with new Eolys fluid or do you need to replace the old fluid?
The fluid is not changed,it is replenished as it gets injected into the fuel system.
Brian UK
My Cars:

Post by Brian UK »

DavidT wrote:Thanks Guys

The Eolys fluid is expensive & I'm surprised also that there's no after-market alternative - FYI I have read that Bosch systems are capable of resetting the fluid level.
Don't know where you read that, but mine is a Bosch system, and it has not yet reset itself after 4000 miles. Just ignore the beep and warning that comes on about 2 minutes after starting.
*******y computers!
Brian.
pugxpert

Post by pugxpert »

particulates burn off at 450 deg with post injection and catalyst it gets up to 350 and the Eolys brings down the burn temp to 350 so it will burn it off.early additive tanks have a level switch which informs by low additive warning on mfd.later tanks have no switch the additive ecu calculates in grammes how much has been added then at a set threshold say 80g low additive warning comes on this can only be reset using pc .early one just top it up..
EP6T petrol turbo nice engine in the 207 GT and the new mini....
Brian UK
My Cars:

Post by Brian UK »

pugxpert wrote:early additive tanks have a level switch which informs by low additive warning on mfd...
Just a pity that it doesn't reset when you fill it up.

I suppose the next idea will be that when the low fuel warning light comes on it will be a visit to the dealer to get it reset too.
Brian.