405 1.9TD fuel filter and glow plugs

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

the plumber

405 1.9TD fuel filter and glow plugs

Post by the plumber »

Can anyone explain how to drain fuel from combined filter/thermostat housing in 1993 K reg. Haines is no help and all I can see is bleed screw to front and screw??? at side possibly to drain water from filter. Also is there an easy way to reach the 2 glow plugs below the intercooler?
any help appreciated
Jon

Post by Jon »

You will have to remove the Intercooler completely to change the Glowplugs at the diesel pump end I'm afraid. A small 8mm and 12mm spanner are required to remove the plugs, access is tight.
As regards the diesel filter, the drain is at the front, the black plastic screw. Originally there would have been clear plastic tube fitted to this to that the fuel can drain away withour soaking the clutch, but quite often this is missing as the car gets older.
Easist way is to put some rags in this area to catch the diesel, undo the 4 alllen bolts at the top pf the housing, pull lid out of the way then loosen black drain screw. The diesel will then drain away, then you can fit a new filter and replace the lid.
Then use the diesel primer bulb, above the Rh engine mount to pump through fuel and refill the housing.
Jon Wood
forum@andyspares.com
the plumber

Post by the plumber »

<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>
You will have to remove the Intercooler completely to change the Glowplugs at the diesel pump end I'm afraid. A small 8mm and 12mm spanner are required to remove the plugs, access is tight.
As regards the diesel filter, the drain is at the front, the black plastic screw. Originally there would have been clear plastic tube fitted to this to that the fuel can drain away withour soaking the clutch, but quite often this is missing as the car gets older.
Easist way is to put some rags in this area to catch the diesel, undo the 4 alllen bolts at the top pf the housing, pull lid out of the way then loosen black drain screw. The diesel will then drain away, then you can fit a new filter and replace the lid.
Then use the diesel primer bulb, above the Rh engine mount to pump through fuel and refill the housing.
Jon Wood
forum@andyspares.com
<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size=2 id=quote>
the plumber

Post by the plumber »

Jon, Thanks very much for your prompt reply, will give it a go this week.