406 PAS Leak

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

mbunting
My Cars:

406 PAS Leak

Post by mbunting »

Interesting one for you folks.

I have quite a serious pas fluid leak, it's getting through about 1L every four days, but I can't immediately see where it's coming from.

First of all, let me point out, it's a 2.1 TD - a beast of an engine physically, its all so tight.

Some facts:

The leak is not from the tank, or the cooling loop at the front.
It's not the pump.
It does not appear to be coming from the rack itself.
The cylindrical device ( damper ? ) that's to the rear of the subframe does not appear to be the cause.
The gaiters at the end of the rack/ram appear to be dry EXCEPT

The left hand side gaiter on the rack had a few drops of fresh fluid on the top of the gaiter - nothing aparently dripping from underneath. The pipes that go to/from the rack/ram and along the subframe appear to be ok.

The pipe which is the feed from the cooler at the front of the car under the gearbox, and around the subframe appears to be split ( outer shield only ) but does not appear to be the cause of the dripping.

There is no sign of fluid to the front of the subframe, likewise, there is no sign of fluid around the downpipe backwards, so it still appears to be somewhere around the rack/ram - the pointer being the drops on the lhs gaiter - but why on the top and not underneath - there does not appear to be anything pas related above the ram - unless anyone knows different.

I know I've rambled on, and most of you have fallen asleep after the first paragraph, but I'm not too sure how to go on - I don't want to be taking it to bits - it's the 2.1 !!!

PS. The 2.1 has the variable assistance power steering.

Thanks for any pointers.
Mat
405 STi Auto Est
Cruise, Aircon, Sunroof
matt
My Cars:

Post by matt »

You would think that after 1L every 4 days it would be soaked underneath!

Ive had 2 car's that have has pas leaks,the first a 1990 cav which just filled the bellows up till they burst :shock: .The other was my 205 where the damper failed-but you could tell just by looking.

Unless its just a fine mist leaking somewhere with no evidence?

Im not being much help am i!
matt.
92 205 1.9 GTI(MODIFIED,SORRY )
1996 VOLVO 850 2.5 5CYL 10V
1999 EXPERT VAN TD - WHITE !
No more car's thanks!
mbunting
My Cars:

Post by mbunting »

Yep, you're right !

Reminds me of the AA advert a number of years ago..

"Where exactly did you bury the car ?"

"IN THE SAND"

"Err, I'm not being much help am I dad ?"
405 STi Auto Est
Cruise, Aircon, Sunroof
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Very strange. I'll play a blinder here...

I've only ever known rams and pumps to leak but they're so obvious when they let go there is no doubt whatsoever.

I don't know the system on the 406 but could it be a split in a hidden run of pipe allowing fluid to leak and hide somewhere?

PAS runs at quite a pressure with a fair old volume of fluid so a fine mist leak is likely, again into somewhere that hides the spilt fluid but its a massive quantity you've now lost so it won't hide for very much longer and like an LHM leak it'll make a fine old mess when it finally reveals itself. The best you can hope is that it is running into a box section and rustproofing it for you :wink:

Lastly is the leak just simply pumping the fluid completely clear of anything straight onto the road? Put the front on axle stands, start up and put the steering from lock to lock and have a good look for leaks whilst the system is under pressure, especially at full lock.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Car must have weight on frontwheels for the PAS to be loaded. That will increase the PAS system pressure considerably for fault tracing. Lifting the front wheels onto ramps are the best option.
(yes I mean lifting it onto ramps, I have had too many incidents trying to drive my car up those mediocre DIY ramps :? )

But as depicted by Jim getting under the front of car will more than likely reveal a clean flushed area by a PAS leak spray ...
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
pugxpert

Post by pugxpert »

if you have fresh fluid leaking from the rack gaitors then its a new rack the ZF rack has an internal ram
EP6T petrol turbo nice engine in the 207 GT and the new mini....
mbunting
My Cars:

Post by mbunting »

Guess what, it's getting worse - 1l of fluid gone today - approx 350 miles of travelling.

So, up on the ramps tonight, underneath, and a very obvious dripping from the bellows on the RHS of the rack, and some residue on the bellows on the LHS of the rack.

So, new rack it is then...

Quick question - Can I just replace everything on the same horizontal level as the rack - the bits above it are all dry, they appear to be connected to "the tube" that is the rack by a few allen key socket bolt type thingies, and I don't fancy a big job taking everything out - it would be really simple if this was the case, as it looks like two large bolts holding the rack down, plus a few pipes, the rod end links, and bobs your uncle, or am I being too simplistic here ?

Being a 2.1 with variable PAS, would I have to specify this for the bottom bit as well, or is it the clever distribution bit ( where the cable plugs in ) that does the job so it's irrelevent ?

Am I also right in thinking that if that's not the case, I need a donor 2.1 or V6 ?

Thanks for your help, please cheer me up.... :twisted:
405 STi Auto Est
Cruise, Aircon, Sunroof