306 1.4 LX jerks when pulling off.

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

This is definately the charcoal canister purge valve :wink:
Note that the MAP sensor will have only 1 rubber hose connected. The purge valve will have 2 hoses, as it is an electric valve inserted to block the pipe line
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
pentoman

Post by pentoman »

This sounds a bit like what I get on my X-reg 206, but it's not as bad on my car. Did you solve it?
pug_owner2002
My Cars:

Post by pug_owner2002 »

Hi Pentoman,

I've still got this problem and have learnt to live with it, however the other half is going to be using it soon as we are due to have a baby and she can't turn the passenger airbag off in her car!
So I've had it code read and there were no fault codes, the chap did say that all of the "live" data appeared to be reading correctly but if it was his car he'd change the MAP sensor.
I replaced the map sensor and still have the problem, I have cleaned all of the breather pipes and the throttle body, but still the problem persists!
I've got to admit I feel like part exing the car as it's starting to annoy me that I can't seem to get rid of this fault.
If anyone else has any ideas they would be most appreciated.
R Reg Phase 2 306 DTurbo (Blaze Yellow) (Sold)
X Reg Phase 3 306 1.4 LX (Sold)
03 Renault Scenic Dynamique +
03 Seat Leon 1.9 TDi
52 Nissan Almera 1.8 sport+
pentoman

Post by pentoman »

Thanks for that-

I'm beginning to think I'll have to live with it on my car too

I've posted the details of my problem in the Peugeot forum, titled '206 8v hesitancy plus bonus breakdown story'. i yesterday had it hooked up to a diagnostic computer and it showed normal looking values and no errors :/.

My Dad (mechanic) suggested checking fuel pressure and injector cleaner which I'm running through on this tank of fuel, not high hopes though.
pug_owner2002
My Cars:

Post by pug_owner2002 »

I've put injector cleaner in the last 4 tankfulls but still have the problem.
The diagnostics guy that I used did say that it might be worth replacing the injectors but as he couldn't guarantee that it would sort the problem I am loath to throwing any more money at it! Especially as other sites are sugesting that it could be the ECU that is the cause (it's the sagem type).
Time to part-ex methinks!
03 Seat Leon 1.9 TDi
pentoman

Post by pentoman »

Do you mean ECU or do you mean coil pack? I've heard people on here moaning about the sagem coil packs , but fyi I just replaced my sagem one (it failed) with a bourgaise... bourgoine... bourg-something (can't remember the name but it's one thats supposed to be better than sagem!) and it behaves no differently. So that's another thing you can maybe rule out. Alternatively if you did mean ECU then i've never heard that before. I may take mine to the dealer for a ECU software update, any idea what that costs?
pug_owner2002
My Cars:

Post by pug_owner2002 »

Hi,

I did mean the ECU.
My car used to belong to my mum and she had a problem with it and it went back to peugeot and it had a new coil pack fitted under warranty.
I beleive that the old coil pack was sagem but the car now has the bougicord one fitted. I do wonder if some damage could have been done to the ECU by the old sagem coil pack.
Does anyone know if peugeot update the cars software when it goes in for a service? As my car had full peugeot service history up until I had it off my mum.
03 Seat Leon 1.9 TDi
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

it would not be updated during a service & also not unless there was a problem with it. There is some risk involved in downloading the ECU as they can sometimes be wiped completely meaning a new ECU so they wouldnt do it for no reason.
pentoman

Post by pentoman »

Fuel pressure?
This was the next step my Dad suggested trying - have you looked at yours. I have had some success with adjusting this on my old Merc to improve the throttle response (I appear to be cursed with cars which have small niggly throttle problems!!).

Also I'm probably mistaken but my problem seems to get worse since I bought it. I wonder if that's because I always run the fuel tank right down to very empty and if it's picking up crap from the dregs of the tank while doing that?
pug_owner2002
My Cars:

Post by pug_owner2002 »

I don't generally let the tank get below a quarter so don't think mines dragging crap from the tank.
How would you test for fuel pressure?
I'm now wondering if it's worth replacing the injectors as the diagnostics guy suggested or carry on down the path of part ex'ing it.
03 Seat Leon 1.9 TDi
pentoman

Post by pentoman »

Not sure how to test fuel pressure but will ask my Dad's garage to do it I think because I'm confident it's the next step to diagnose.
pug_owner2002
My Cars:

Post by pug_owner2002 »

Well,

Coming home from work last night the car kept cutting out :evil:
So as soon as I got home it was up with the bonnet for a fettle, I managed to diagnose that the Idle Control Valve was the cause, so I quickly nipped to the local scrappy (in the other halfs car) but every single one had been stripped from the cars.
I phoned around for a new one today and was quoted £118 :shock:
Anyway, as my dad is retired he went off on a mission to find me one and found a scrappy that had a few, so off we went and I got one for a tenner.
The car seems to be running well now and dare I say it slightly better.
The car will probably prove me wrong in the morning though!

I do wonder if the problems that I've been experiencing could have been the beginings of this part failing?
I'll see how it drives tomorrow and report back.
03 Seat Leon 1.9 TDi
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

The ICV is perfectly serviceable - if you are a retired with lots of spare time left 8)
Ask your old man if he feels like a try.

The valve is dead simple inside and will most likely spring to life again with a good clean and possibly a weebit re-tensioning of any springs found. All bits are stainless with no lube/grease.

But they do suffer the same problem like any other mechnically coiled components : the coil wiring may have broken which only shows during engine vibrations or certain temp ranges.
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
pentoman

Post by pentoman »

I wonder if the idle control thingy could cause issues too. However I feel this would only be the case if the valve introduces unmetered air or something. Otherwise not sure how it would affect responsiveness etc.
pug_owner2002
My Cars:

Post by pug_owner2002 »

Hi Pentoman,

It might be worth taking yours out and cleaning it, although that didn't do much for mine oiginally, however since it totally broke and I replaced it the car has been running brilliantly, It may be a coincidence though! I have now decided that the car is going to be kept (even though I have brought a new car! :lol: ) as it's running so well.
03 Seat Leon 1.9 TDi