Peugeot 205 1.1 (TU1) hesitates on throttle.

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

alanshep

Peugeot 205 1.1 (TU1) hesitates on throttle.

Post by alanshep »

Hello.

I've just fitted a 2nd hand engine to this old 205. The engine came complete with inlet manifold, carb and distributor. I was told that the engine ran well by the seller - seemed like a decent bloke so I tend to think that this is true.

The engine starts and runs OK on the choke and when warm will tick over. However any attempt to blip the throttle causes the engine to die (it goes totally silent for a second or 2) before it picks up.

From looking at other posts on this site it seems that a vacuum leak might be the cause ?

I've just been looking around the carb and part from possible gasket leaks there appear to be 4 pipe connections that could cause a leak. As best I can tell these are:-

1.) A pipe to the distributor vacuum advance. If I pull the end of the carb I can suck air through this - as if there is a small leak. Not sure if this is correct!

2.) A pipe to the choke opener device (I think that's what it is).If I pull this pipe of the carb I can suck air through this - as if there is a small leak - and the opener rod does not move. Not sure if this is correct!

3.) A pipe from the inlet manifold to the brake servo - this bit I understand.

4.) A pipe from the inlet manifold (directly beneath the carb) to the air intake duct which effectively shares a connection with the breather pipe from the rocker cover. I believe this is part of the crankcase ventilation system. I really don't understand how this works. As far as I can tell this could pull air in directly from the air filter to the inlet manifold and bypass the carb.

Any thoughts on what might be causing my problem and more generally on helping my understanding of what all these pipes do would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks. Alan
ZX Diesel 1992.
Peugeot 205 1.1 1990.
alanshep

Post by alanshep »

Just an update.

After asking around it was confirmed that it should not be possible to suck any air through the vacuum advance connection to the distributor.

The advance unit on the 2nd hand engine (and indeed on the original engine) were both faulty.

Managed to pick up a distributor with working advance unit from a scrap yard for £15. Fitted it and it cured the hesitation and (much to my suprise) the car went through its MOT 1st time last Monday.
ZX Diesel 1992.
Peugeot 205 1.1 1990.