Not the drive shafts - Maybe the bearings?

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Adstar
My Cars:

Not the drive shafts - Maybe the bearings?

Post by Adstar »

Ok. Been driving round in cicrles on full lock, and no "oval" wheels. There was no vibration, no knocking. The car is still vibrating at varying speeds around the 65 mph mark.

I am trying to tell and I think the vibratuion is constant once it starts. In that as I get quicker, other than reducing, the vibration doesn't get quicker with speed.

However. I went out last night wihtout my radio, and upon driving round a roundabout (so a tight but NOT full lock right hand corner) I was sure I could hear the tell tale grinding noise of bearings on their way.

Could bearings cause a resonant vibration? I have never come across that before! (I have suffered dead bearings a few times!)

How can I test them before I deliver the car to my mechanic with a blank cheque!

Thanks

Adam.
605 Only an SL but it is a DT with a shake rattle and role!
Mk 1 MR2 waiting to have the final useful bits removed... RIP.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

It could be your inboard CV joints. These won't click like duff outboard ones but if worn will certainly give all the symptoms you have.

Inboard CV joints are a bit tricky to test conclusively. Have to car up on stands and grasp them and try them for up, down and rotational play. Also try to feel for any "graunchiness" as they rotate. Lateral movement is entirely normal and should not be confused with wear.

Diff bearings are a remote possibility but unlikely. Test by grasping each inboard CV joint body and trying to rock it in the bearing. Duff bearings usually give themselves away by causing oil leaks from the diff seals.

Is your diff noisy? It just could be your diff is on it's way out although if it is quiet it is unlikely.

Is you gearbox oil level up to the mark? they don't have a lot to begin with and hate running low.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Adstar
My Cars:

Post by Adstar »

I haven't checked the oil level, but I dont have any oil leaks. I'll get that done with the oil and fuel filter change in jan.

Im getting paranoid now. I thought I'd go round the round about again. This time there was no grinding. the noise was only what I would normally asociate with tyre noise.

So I think i will give up tryign to spot problems and wait until someone can get underneeath it.

If anyone knows where I can get a speed sensor (little box of tricks that bolts to the gear box) Id be grateful. Mine has gone from say 0 most of the time, to bouncing around over 100 when stationary!
reblack68
My Cars:

Post by reblack68 »

You used to be able to swap the inner CV joints on a SAAB to effectively double their life, is it possible to do that on Peugeots?

I've a feeling the speed sensor is somewhere in the region of £30 from the stealer, cheaper than a speeding ticket.
Richard

No French cars of my own at present.
Care of a 1994 205 D.
Adstar
My Cars:

Post by Adstar »

I have avoided the dreaded number plate portrait by having a good knowledge of my approximate speed according the the rev counter!

I will be looking at my mechanic for advice on the possible cause of vibration. I'll direct him to the inboard CVs first.

As for the speed sensor, I might see if I can find one and get it done at the same time, but I could do that myself in the summer.