Steering Pull

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

rframpton
My Cars:

Steering Pull

Post by rframpton »

I recently noticed a drift to the right on my Peugeot 306 XLDT. My local Peugeot dealer has verified that all tyres and wheels are in good condition. All steering and suspension geometries and tracking are within manufacturer's tolerances and there is no wear in either the suspension or steering joints. Additionally, the braking system is in tip top order and the car pulls up in a nice straight line. Yet, letting go of the steering wheel slightly results in a pull to the right. The only clues I have to this is that, when travelling along, the wheel will centre from left rotation but is very slow to do this from right rotation. The problem is more evident for the first few miles of a cold start. My dealer admits the pull is there but they are stumped as to the reason why.
Jon

Post by Jon »

Its interesting that this problem is worst when the car is cold> this points towards a power steering problem in my book. I would imagine that the PAS ram is sticking slightly ine one position, this is made worst by the fact that the PAS fluid is slightly thicker when its cold.
I would suggest changing the PAS fluid, and bleeding the system, to see if this makes things better. You may end up replacing the PAS ram itself.
Hope that this helps.
Jon Wood
IT Supervisor
GSF t/as Andyspares
Edited by - JON on 31 May 2001 11:38:30
rframpton
My Cars:

Post by rframpton »

Thanks for the advice Jon. I had considered the power steering as a last resort but its good to get another similar opinion. I'll post the results of changing the fluid then if necessary the hydraulic ram.
rframpton
My Cars:

Post by rframpton »

Changing the fluid and bleeding well did not change the vehicle behaviour. Reckon I'll need to replace the hydraulic ram. Does anyone know how difficult a job this is? It looks as though you just disconnect pipes and unbolt the thing.