no heating, 306 TD

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

jgra1
(Donor 2021)
My Cars: 2010 C5 X7 2.0 hdi 160 exc auto
MG TF 135
Boxer II 2.2 camper conversion
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R
Honda V F R 800 5thG / MT500 Armstrong

no heating, 306 TD

Post by jgra1 »

hi all, a friends TD has a heater which is lukewarm at best ..
I had a quick look tonight and noticed the following

car full of coolant
heater control does make car go from cold - warm (not hot)
Pipe into center of bulkhead are very hot
bleed nipple situated near those pipes expels no air, just hot coolant.

any thought?
She also has a very damp floor caused possiblt by sunroof (the water collects in the interior light housing! front center of roof)
I have duck-taped the sunroof tonight to help, but she cant dry it out very well with no heat

thanks as always
John g
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Hi John,

If you are sure the cooling system is fully bled and the thermostat is doing its job properly then the matrix is prime suspect. I say thios because the maxrix on the 306 is very much like the 205 one (if not the same one?) and in 205s they don't live long. Also, there is no valve. Hot coolant flows constantly, the heat being controlled by an air flap which seems to be doing what it should.

The matrix has fine passgaes with "turbolators" (sic) that are essentially rough surfaces that introduce turbulence into the coolant to increase heat transfer. These turbolators also harbour silt and this causes a marked lack of heat transfer and eventual blockage. They also leak so your damp could be from the matrix too :shock: They are made of such thin alloy that they can burst when they become fully choked.

If you replace the matrix, I'm not sure of how much of a dockyard job it is on a 306, make sure you fully flush the whole cooling system BEFORE fitting the new matrix. Scale and other rubbish can act as an abrasive and pin-hole a new matrix in a quite short time.. I had it happen on one of my 205s :cry:

Sorry to be the potential harbinger of bad news John...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
jgra1
(Donor 2021)
My Cars: 2010 C5 X7 2.0 hdi 160 exc auto
MG TF 135
Boxer II 2.2 camper conversion
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R
Honda V F R 800 5thG / MT500 Armstrong

Post by jgra1 »

Jim, many thanks, great answer..!

Yes had thought matrix... I am always following matrix threads on here, so kinda know how long-drawn-out changing them can be..

erm.. anyone else volunteer the easyness of Series 2 306 Matrix changing? The unit looks to be in a different place to my Xantia V6.. central rather then off to one side.. I guess its a dash out job..

:?