406 Questions (Electrics, Interior & Suspension)

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

fleask

406 Questions (Electrics, Interior & Suspension)

Post by fleask »

I've just bought a '98 406 1.8L Estate, and I have a few questions.

It's making a knocking (almost certainly from the back end) as I go over bumps, i've had the front and back up in the air and I can't see anything loose or worn. Any ideas? If it is the rear tie bars, what's the best way the check this?

The previous owner was a dog owner, and quite possibly a farmer. The interior is pretty smelly and mucky and I was wondering about swapping out the interior. Am I stuck with Mk 1 estate interiors or can I fit a Mk 2 or a saloon interior?

I miss having a tach, would a set of gauges with a tach drop right in or would I need a sender and wiring? What about fitting a digital clock, or a pug cd player with the seperate display? If I can't fit a tach, does anybody know what speed (mph) the redline is second and third?

Cheers, Finlay.

ps. Anybody want to buy my old shed of a ZX?
danthevan

Post by danthevan »

Knocking back end is either bump stops on the shocks, axle beam bushes or if you're lucky just the exhaust knocking.
stevieb

Post by stevieb »

If it's rear tie-bars, jack up each wheel in turn, support well, and try to "steer" each wheel by hand whilst in the air. If there's more than the tiniest of movement replace that tie-bar. Buy genuine too, if you plan on them lasting more than 10,000 miles.

The other possible cause of knocking at the back end is the anti-roll bar droplinks. Not easy to test without undoing one of the bolts and waggling the thing about. The tiniest amout of wear will result in a knocking. The noise is massively disproportionate to the amount of wear. Again, buy genuine - third party ones don't last more than 10,000 miles. Both mine need doing again. The first pair were replaced by the factors after 10,000 miles due to excessive wear, and guess what? Another 10,000 miles and they're sh*gg*d again. I have a genuine pair to fit when I can make the time.

When my is knocking I notice the handling at the back becomes quite skittish in the wet, especially on uneven surfaces. Fix the knocking and the handling improves. Be prepared for a better, safer, and quieter ride when it's fixed.
fleask

Post by fleask »

Cheers guys, i'll get it up in the air and check it again, hopefully it'll be dry at the weekend. I've been impressed with the handling so far, but I have noticed the back being a bit skittish when pushed hard.

After trawling google I've discovered that the wiring loom is apparently the same (or very similar) in all mk1 406's - so the chance of being able to fit gauges etc from another car seems good.