205D Glow Plugs

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

205D Glow Plugs

Post by CitroJim »

Our 205D has been difficult to start in the cold although as soon as it is warmer it is fine. Glowplugs are what is causing it...

The engine has a set of known good 1.9TD glowplugs in it. I note that GSF specify two entirely different BERU part numbers for the 1.7D and 1.9TD glowplugs.

I'm going to get a new set of BERU plugs for it but in the meantime, does anyone know what the difference is as it sure does seem to make a difference to starting in cold weather...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...

Post by 504 »

There is only one fitment of glow plug for XUD engines 1.8, 1.9 or 2.1. Its a common plug used by many manufacturers.

Not sure what you have looked at but its

BBGV636 GLOW PLUG 205D/TD 5.20
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

504 wrote:There is only one fitment of glow plug for XUD engines 1.8, 1.9 or 2.1. Its a common plug used by many manufacturers.

Not sure what you have looked at but its

BBGV636 GLOW PLUG 205D/TD 5.20
That would logical... but this is Pug we're dealing with here :wink:

Both GSF and BERU say they're different :?

For the 1.7D they say GV636 and for the 1.9TD GN909. Admittedly GSF only list GV636 for both the 205TD and D but if one searches GSF for the 405, they offer both depending on wether it's a D or a TD :? :?

Looking a bit deeper into the BERU site it seems to suggest that the GN909s are for use when post-start heating is employed (which is the case on a TD) and the GV636 are for "Quick-Start" applications where no post-start heating takes place as is certainly the case on our 205D. So one assumes then that the GV636 glows brighter and hotter quicker and the GN909 is a bit more laid back because it carries on heating after the engine has started...

Our 205D currently has, I know, because I put them in there, GN909s.

A set of GV636s are on order so it'll be interesting to see what difference it makes.

I'll report back!
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Aha Jim -

But its not just selecting the glowplug type to select either glow "mode".
The heater relay must be the correct one too. You can see that - if you dig even further into the tech details on the Beru site documentation.

Earlier cars will have the standard type plugs and realy which will glow a few seconds after the lamp extinguish.
Later cars will have the circuit incorporating an engine temp sensor to extinguish the plugs much, much later. This is a natural development of the ever increasing demands on anti-pollution.
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
GSB

Post by GSB »

I bought a set from gsf this morning for my 2.1td. was given the 909's . November offer £20 +vat
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Just a little update..

I put a set of GV636 plugs in and all is now OK. I did a silly thing though. In reconnecting No.1 glowplug, the termainal got a little close to the body of the waxstat and over the course of a few days the insulation on it chafed through and caused a short-circuit. :oops:

Starts on the button now...
Jim