Auto tranny question

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Auto tranny question

Post by 504 »

Another question my 205, as this is the first auto I have owned. Its got 64k on the clock with FSH. I changed the tranny fluid as it was rather brown looking with the rest of the service, filling with Dexron II as per handbook. Everything is ok, but the bright red new fluid is dull already. I read in the book of lies that it takes over 6L to fill from dry, so I guess my 2.4L to drain and fill is dull from whats left swimming around. If this not normal should I run it a few hundred miles, drain and fill again?
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image

Post by 504 »

Thanks Anders, an interesting read. I've certainly refilled with Miller's oil Dexron II from GSF. Just not sure how long to leave it now as its lost its redness after 100 miles.
pazz
My Cars:

Post by pazz »

Hi
My experience of these transmissions is that they last very well. I bought my 405 auto at 74000 miles. The fluid was almost black, like old engine oil, and it made a short squeak every time it changed up into 3rd. A 2.4L fluid change stopped the noise, but it took another two changes over a couple of weeks to get the fluid looking clean. Since then I have done a single change every 24000 miles as recommended in the handbook, and the fluid has stayed clean. It has now done 150000 miles and all is well. I've also had a 309 auto, sold at 130000 miles transmission fine, and another 309 auto which I still own now at 127000 miles and going well. They both had dirty fluid when I bought them - changing the fluid seems to be a commonly neglected task. I would recommend you change the fluid another couple of times, with a few days of normal use between changes - then remember to change it at the recommended intervals after that. Good luck!
1993 309GLi Auto 145K
1993 405GLi Auto Estate 218K

Post by 504 »

thanks pazz. I will change the fluid again soon, it was an easy job. My box works well, there is sometimes a little clonk/snatch as it drops in to I think first if you pull up quick to a junction, not all the time though. Perhaps the next couple of fluid changes will sort it.

Does anybody stock say 5L of Dexron II, to make it cheaper to change as its £12+vat for 2.5L at GSF.