Judder in Reverse

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

stevieb

Judder in Reverse

Post by stevieb »

Hello all.

I'm thinking this is an intermediate driveshaft bearing issue, before I describe any symptoms.

I get a definite judder through the steering (80%) and the body (20%) when reversing, though it varies depending on amount of lock applied. It also occurs sometimes under acceleration, especially if snatching the clutch, or again at certain amounts of lock.

The engine mounts are all sound and secure. All front suspension bushes are sound and secure. The driveshafts themselves also seem okay. Track-rod ends are also good. The bottom balljoints are also sound as I found when replacing the front wishbones in an effort to cure the noise. (I was later told by a Pug mechanic doing my tracking that the front bushes on 406's don't wear like the 405 ones used to. I'm guessing now I'd probably wasted my money).

It seems odd that I can drive all day without a problem, then reverse onto the drive when I get home and the bugger judders all the way on. It feels a lot like the front wheels are loose, but they're obviously not.

Intermediate bearing? Maybe just loose in the bracket/engine mount housing?

I just want a few pointers before I get filthy dirty investigating later. I need to get past the leaking PAS fluid first. Yuk!!!

All suggestions welcome.

Pug 406 2.0 petrol Turbo Executive.
matt
My Cars:

Post by matt »

I know it looks like the only thing left to check but its hard to see how the bearing is tight in one rotation and loose in the other,doesnt seem to make sense but then again it is french :shock:

It should be easy just to grab hold of the driveshaft near the bearing and check for lateral? movement and probably not to big a job to take it out.

I had a feel at mine the other day whilst doing the clutch and it had a bit of play in it but its quiet and doesnt judder.

First thing i though when i saw your post was engine mounts but if theyre ok then the only other thing is CV joints?

Just trying to help!

matt
92 205 1.9 GTI(MODIFIED,SORRY )
1996 VOLVO 850 2.5 5CYL 10V
1999 EXPERT VAN TD - WHITE !
No more car's thanks!
stevieb

Post by stevieb »

Cheers Matt, I know the engine mounts are fine as I've replaced some, and the others are packed full of expanding foam. So I know there's no movement there... When there is, the foam drops out... I know I've seen it.

I guess the forward drive on the driveshaft puts pressure on a particular face of the bearing, or forces the bearing into a certain position.

Which means reverse would counteract that. So if there's slack in the system, it would only show when in reverse, or when engine braking during a gear-change mimics reverse momentarily (i.e. snatching the clutch). The bearing jumping about in its surround.

Hmmm, didn't bother touching it today. Weather not up to much. Thinking of a new car anyway. Mitsubishi Galant anybody...??? Worth it?