205 Coolant light

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

205 Coolant light

Post by 504 »

My 1994 L reg Peugeot 205 Junior Auto with the 1580cc carb engine and slugomatic box has what I think is an electrical fault. The low coolant light stays on all the time. It does go dim and brighter in time with the indicators. The coolant level is correct and it hasnt used any, the rad gets hot all over and the electric cooling fans kick in ok. This is my first petrol 205, after 104, 106D, 205D, and 504D and not being familar with this problem ask is anybody in the know!?

The car leaks rain water in to the boot like most 205s. Any fixes known? I read this could be coming in past the rear lights rubber gasket against the body?

thanks
pugxpert

Post by pugxpert »

try bleeding cooling system with expansion bottle out of its holder and hung up high on bonnet so air can escape then run up engine with cap off untill fan cuts in
EP6T petrol turbo nice engine in the 207 GT and the new mini....

Post by 504 »

thanks for the reply, yes I'm going to do that tomorrow with a full coolant change. Please to see the coolant bottle is held in with a bungy style fastner so you dont need to use a header bottle, just unclip and hang this one. My 104, 504D and previous 106D and 205D didn't have this. The rad does get hot all over, so if this doesn't fix it, I will get a new switch.

Post by 504 »

The coolant change didn't fix the problem. The old coolant wasn't very good and a bit sludgy so full service history means doodle squat! I think the switch is maybe clogged. Whilst under the car I also noticed another sensor screwed in just under the "nut" topped rad cap. As I understand it the left hand side is the coolant level sensor as its cap cap screwed in to the top of the rad with two wires. Whats the other one?

Post by 504 »

been tinkering all day with the little pug. Got the cable off the sensor and connected so it shorted, and on came another light....the low coolant light. So much for the handbook's pathetic pictures and descriptions, so back to scouring the forum. Now looks like and ECU fault code, and just read about the Lambda sensor. Its had a new one recently, but of unknown quality by the previous owner. Just disconnected the battery, will see what happens and if it resets.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

This is a very common problem with the particular type of sensor you have. Us 205GTI boys have the same thing. IIRC, the level is detected by a floating magnet that operates a reed switch. They fail becyuse they get full of coolant sludge and the magnet sticks.

Careful disassembly and a good clean should restore normal performance.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...

Post by 504 »

504 wrote:been tinkering all day with the little pug. Got the cable off the sensor and connected so it shorted, and on came another light....the low coolant light. So much for the handbook's pathetic pictures and descriptions, so back to scouring the forum. Now looks like and ECU fault code, and just read about the Lambda sensor.
It wasn't the problem with coolant switch. I disconnected the battery for 10 minutes and the fault light went away. Drove it all week just fine, until a 45 min drive on Saturday night, it came on again. Stopped and reset again, and gave the car a hard stonk and it was ok. Next day, came on after 10 minutes. Spent the rest of the day taking off all the sensor wires checking and refitting. Also cleaned out the breather pipes with had a bit of mayo build up from short trips. Seems to have done the trick so far.