309 rear lights problem

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

pazz
My Cars:

309 rear lights problem

Post by pazz »

The rear lights on my 1993 309 are unreliable. Sometimes one or other of them stops working (usually a brake light or reversing light). If I open the unit and move the bulb slightly it comes on again. I've tried new bulbs, and cleaning the bulbs and sockets with contact cleaner. These actions solve the problem, but after a few weeks it happens again. The sockets look OK - no rust. Is this a common problem? Any suggestions?
1993 309GLi Auto 145K
1993 405GLi Auto Estate 218K
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Donno on a 309 - but on a BX (very similar I believe) there is an earth screw behind the lamp cluster in one side. Try look for such an earth point. If this is corroded you get all kinds of mysterious lights show when either lamp comes on.

Also check the multipin connectors that snap on to the lamp board. Might be a good idea to squeeze indivisual spring pins a bit to make better contact.

Finally follow the multiribbon cable under the carpets back under the rear seats down the floor under the carpets. The cable could very well be chafed or otherwisw damaged en route.

Definately no rocket science to track such a problem - hunt it down :wink:
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
pazz
My Cars:

Post by pazz »

Thanks for the suggestions. I checked the wiring with a multimeter - all seems to be OK, but I did find a problem with the lamp sockets. The metal contacts which touch the ends of the bulbs looked OK, but when I put the meter on them there were some patches which didn't conduct - some kind of insulating oxide layer? I scraped them shiny clean and sprayed them with a product I got from Maplin - Servsol Super 10 switch cleaner and lubricant - which is supposed to leave a protective film. All working now, but will it last?? Also found on the net there is such a thing as 'bulb grease' which is intended to protect bulbs and sockets from corrosion - trade names are Permatex and Devcon. Might try that as a last resort.
1993 309GLi Auto 145K
1993 405GLi Auto Estate 218K