looking for a 306 hdi

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

shezads

looking for a 306 hdi

Post by shezads »

Hi All,

I'am looking to buy a 306 hdi. I know the cambelt and pulley(s) need changing need to ask for some questions:

1. Which pulley should be changed. What I mean is - is there just the one pulley to change - or is there more?

2. Also where to buy this from and how much would it be. Any idea on labour? Should the water pump be changed too?

4. What mileage / age to change the pulley(s) / tensioner?

5. Does the 306 share the fuel (lift?) pump problem as the 406 hdi?

6 . What about the ticking injector issue - how to check for this?

7 . Anything else to look out for?

8 . Does the Meridian have sports suspension (phase 3)?

9 . Is the hdi as reliable as the old xu9 td at higher mileages?

Thanks all for your help.
Found my Alfa at Last!

04 156 2.4 JTD SW Veloce (Pics coming soon)

In the family:
W 306 HDI
M 306 TD
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Cambelt may be due at 72k or 100k miles, so on a later low mileage car is may well not be due yet.

1. Which pulley should be changed. What I mean is - is there just the one pulley to change - or is there more?

The Crankshaft pulley - it disintegrates.

2. Also where to buy this from and how much would it be. Any idea on labour? Should the water pump be changed too?

New one is about £80 from GSF. It will be off at the same time as the cambelt, so it can easily be changed then. Otherwise it only takes 1/2 hour. Water pump is preferred at same time as cambelt, otherwise the cambelt will have to come off again later.

4. What mileage / age to change the pulley(s) / tensioner?

See above. The tensioners are very good on these engines - I'd inspect with belt off and only change if rough / tight. Unlikely you will be running the car to a second belt change (200k?)

5. Does the 306 share the fuel (lift?) pump problem as the 406 hdi?

Possible - depends on the injection system fitted. No easy way to tell (till it stops!). New pumps are now cheap though, and easily fitted.

6 . What about the ticking injector issue - how to check for this?

It's cleary audible in the 2500 - 3200 rpm then suddenly stops. My mate's (at 150k) is like this - doesn't seem to do much other than rattle a bit!

7 . Anything else to look out for?

Clonking rear suspension (sub frame mounts), leaking matrix, U/S A/C - will need new pipe and evaporator (£300 +), bottom of radiator leaking.

8 . Does the Meridian have sports suspension (phase 3)?

Dunno

9 . Is the hdi as reliable as the old xu9 td at higher mileages?

There's plenty of Xantias on e-bay in the 130k + range, so I'd guess so - as long as it's never been fed petrol!
Richard W
shezads

Post by shezads »

Thanks for that - now I know what to look for / haggle on price for cars, where they may be an issue.
Found my Alfa at Last!

04 156 2.4 JTD SW Veloce (Pics coming soon)

In the family:
W 306 HDI
M 306 TD