406 Power Steering

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

mbunting
My Cars:

406 Power Steering

Post by mbunting »

Hi folks,

I have a 406 2.1td LX, and have a PAS fluid leak.

Managed to get the car on ramps at the weekend for an inspection. Fluid was gathering on the back of the subframe, the distributor ( whatever it is that the steering column goes into ) has dry connections, and the other end of these connections on the ram also appear to be fairly dry.

However, there is a small tubular thingy which appears to sit in the supply line from the reservoir - it's hose, then this "device", then hose ( but with a metal connector, then the steel pipe which is clamped onto the subframe before heading back up towards the distributor.

Maybe this is simpler..

Res ======device===clamp--------steering column

Can anyone tell me what "device" is above - it's a little bigger than a tippex bottle, and on my car is held up in the subframe using a cable tie which ( doh ! ) is wrapped around the rubber on the reservoir side. There is some metal visible ( ie. the hose is not all the way home ), and I think my leak may be coming from here.

It's a Phase 1 406, and since there is an electrical connection into the bottom of the column, I presume it's variable steering ( feels like it when ok ).

Sorry for the crap description !

Mat.
405 STi Auto Est
Cruise, Aircon, Sunroof
pugxpert

Post by pugxpert »

poss fluid damper on the return pipe back to the resevoir dont think you can get it seperate comes with the pipe i expect! yes you have variable steering will get stiffer with speed
EP6T petrol turbo nice engine in the 207 GT and the new mini....