Losing Water, and other things.

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

OwenP
My Cars:

Losing Water, and other things.

Post by OwenP »

Right, since flushing the radiator out on my 405, I have noticed it has been losing water when running, normally only a problem if the temperature creeps up a bit far.
It is fine when standing, however the system doesn't really seem to pressurise at all. Any ideas?

Also, had the car in garage this morning for them to look at on of the injectors, and he reckons its not the injector but is the rocker cover gasket leaking slightly.
Whats the best way to change this and are there any pitfalls to watch out for?

Cheers
2001 406 Rapier 2.0 HDi 90 Estate - Sold Scrap after being viciously attacked by a falling tree
2001 Toyota MR2 1.8 VVTi - To be sold for spares/repair - dead gearbox :(
2014 Seat Ibiza Eastate 1.4 FR ACT (bought in an emergency, but a nice enough low mileage car)
Adstar
My Cars:

Post by Adstar »

water loss and lack of water pressure could be a loose hose, or a small hole, or the pressure cap not being on properly. If you have flushed the radiator, coudl this have dislodge somethign that has uncovered a hole?

Like I said, any number of things.

I can garentee that people will want to know the age and engine of your car to have a better chance at giving you more accurate advice!
605 Only an SL but it is a DT with a shake rattle and role!
Mk 1 MR2 waiting to have the final useful bits removed... RIP.
OwenP
My Cars:

Post by OwenP »

OK the car is 1996 1.9TD (thought I'd put that in the sig, oops will change that now), and had done 81200 ish miles. There was a second radiator cap in the engine bay, and the one on the car has been replaced, since then the car has not really got very hot, due to the type of driving I've been doing so its hard to tell wether or not I've fixed the problem.

One thing that was suggested by one of the guys I know was that the water pump seals might be on the way out, whats the best way to check this?
2001 406 Rapier 2.0 HDi 90 Estate - Sold Scrap after being viciously attacked by a falling tree
2001 Toyota MR2 1.8 VVTi - To be sold for spares/repair - dead gearbox :(
2014 Seat Ibiza Eastate 1.4 FR ACT (bought in an emergency, but a nice enough low mileage car)
caveman_si
My Cars:

Post by caveman_si »

Rocker cover gaskit is dead easy to do and is only a few quid from any motor factors. take off intercooler undo bolts in rocker cover take cover off take over the gaskit clean up and replace. Did mine the other day to find out half way through it wasnt the gaskit leaking :( Check out the rocker cover breather pipe as thats where mine had split. Couldnt see the split in the pipe untill i had taken it apart.

As for loosing water did you bleed it properly? engine running with the header tank? and used all the bleed points?? (there is supposed to be 3 points but I can only ever find 2, one in the rad and the near the fuel filter)
If you didnt bleed it properly the system over pressures and looses water.

The other thing to check is any pipe that you may have moved or removed or any little bleed screw you used. I discovered i was loosing water after a recent coolant change but there was no tell tale marks and couldnt work out where it was comeing from. Found it when i re bled the system i hadnt done one of the bleed screws up!!! doh

AS for the rad did you flush out the block as well? ie remove the thermostat and disconnet the rads bottom hose and flush?

Did you disconnect the rad top and bottome when you flushed or just used the drain plug? If you disconnect check the pipes as the screw collar jobbies are a pain. If you moved the rad also check the low water sensor near the bottom of the rad hasnt wiggled loose. Happen to me a few yrs ago when i took the rad out of the car.

If the water pump is leaking im sure there is usually tell tale marks but ive never had one so i cant be sure.
406 lx 1.9td estate
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

The water pump normally shows it is beginning to leak by growing a little mound of white corrosion near the shaft. This is impossible to see without removing the camblet covers though. First you usually know about it is a little drop of blue water hanging from the lowest point of that end of the engine or from the bottom of the cam belt cover. Full failure usually follows quite rapidly.

One common source of a leak if you have disturbed the thermostat is from the thermostat cover itself. The seal here is marginal at the best of times. It is incredibly hard to see bacause the moment a bit of water leaks out it instantly evaporates on contact with the hot metal. It will eventually give itself away by growing a little white fur coat of corrosion.

If the rad is original, that is the most likely culprit. Thet usually go along the bottom edge and leaks can be incredibly hard to see. Again a little fur coat will eventually give the game away.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...