405 TD Anti-Roll Bar and Ball Joint

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

teethgrinder

405 TD Anti-Roll Bar and Ball Joint

Post by teethgrinder »

Evening all...
Is the front anti-roll bar really needed?
What's the best way to get the ball joint out of the hub? (I have the feeling the answer to this is to take the car to the garage).
Failed MOT on ARB bushes and a worn ball joint. :cry:

Thanks,
Robin
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

teethgrinder wrote:Is the front anti-roll bar really needed?
:shock: You bet it is :!:
Imagine cornering in a 2CV - but the 2CV loaded up to have same weight as a 405 :roll:
That would defo be a most interesting driving experience - no you cannot drive a 405 w/o the ARB :lol:

Which balljoint do you mean ?

The lower control arm swivel joint ?
This is best removed using a special socket fitting exactly over the joint. The socket in turn is driven by a 35mm socket 3/4" square drive - and a matching tommy bar. Finally a lenght of water pipe is used as extension bar on the tommy bar to get the necessary leverage - as the joint is INCREDIBLE tight.
http://www.justoffbase.co.uk/s.nl/it.A/ ... ategory=99

- or the steering tierod balljoint ?
This is rather simple removed with one of those cheapo standard balljoint remover tools.
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
teethgrinder

Post by teethgrinder »

AndersDK wrote:
teethgrinder wrote:Is the front anti-roll bar really needed?
:shock: You bet it is :!:
Imagine cornering in a 2CV - but the 2CV loaded up to have same weight as a 405 :roll:
That would defo be a most interesting driving experience - no you cannot drive a 405 w/o the ARB :lol:

Which balljoint do you mean ?

The lower control arm swivel joint ?
This is best removed using a special socket fitting exactly over the joint. The socket in turn is driven by a 35mm socket 3/4" square drive - and a matching tommy bar. Finally a lenght of water pipe is used as extension bar on the tommy bar to get the necessary leverage - as the joint is INCREDIBLE tight.
http://www.justoffbase.co.uk/s.nl/it.A/ ... ategory=99

- or the steering tierod balljoint ?
This is rather simple removed with one of those cheapo standard balljoint remover tools.

Bugger.
it is the offside lower control arm one. I have managed to free the hub from the arm, and I have bought the tool to get it out of the hub, and tight is a very good description of the sod! Not only that, but I don't have anything long ang metal enough to use as a 'counter lever'.

I might concentrate on the ARB bush and get a monkey to deal with the ball joint.

Thanks,
Robin