306 / ZX gearbox question

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

AARONM3

306 / ZX gearbox question

Post by AARONM3 »

Afternoon all,

A couple of weeks ago after having my 306 back for a mere few days after a brake problem the gearbox decided it was going to explode it spectacular fashion. The car in question is a 1996 306 Xsi 2.0 8v.

I've been having trouble tracking down a replacement box, let alone a reasonably priced one but my research leads me to believe that the box is the same as that fitted in a 205 GTi and related motors- a 5 speed BE3 unit. I have found a 1991 ZX Volcane in a scrappies but they can't confirm that it's a BE3 box.

I've been told it's got reverse in the correct place so I figure it is a BE3? Could anyone confirm. Just that they will deliver but won't accept returns and it's a bit awkward for me to go and check it out myself.

The ZX is a petrol model so I guess the ratios will be suitable...?

Cheers in advance for any assistance.
PowerLee
My Cars: Current - Slightly modified 2016 Pug 308 Puretech 130 Allure
Past:
2003 - 206 GLX TU3JP & 206 SE ET3JP4
1995 - 405 Executive XU10J2
1996 - 406 GLX XU10J4R
1994 - 405 GTX XU10J2

Post by PowerLee »

Check the gearbox ID number stamped in the casing.

Stand looking at the front of the car, The number is on the front right hand part of the casing as you look down at it.

A 2 litre 405 GTX or Executive will also have this gearbox, If your lucky it might even have the same ratios :wink:
AARONM3

Post by AARONM3 »

Cheers.

Don't think i'm going to be able to get to look at it though- I know my 306 was definitely a BE3 and if the reverse is in the same place on the ZX would it be (reasonably) safe to assume that that too is a BE3?
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Most PSA cars 1.6-2L (XU) engines uses the BE3 box.
Smaller (TU) engines use the MA box.
Larger engines uses a BE5 type box.

Meaning you can go search BX, ZX, Xantia, 205, 306, 309, 405, 406.

I presume you have reverse gear right & down (below 5.th) ?
This is the later type BE3 layout.
The earlier type BE3 layout have reverse left & up (left to 1.st).
Its still the same box - same diff & driveaxle layout - same flange to engine.
The change was done approx '88 - but not 100% consistent.
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
fastandfurryous
My Cars:

Post by fastandfurryous »

AndersDK wrote:The earlier type BE3 layout have reverse left & up (left to 1.st).
Which is actually called a BE1 (actually, BE1/5for a 5-speed, or BE1/4 for a 4-speed)

Whilst a BE3 gearbox from just about anything will fit any other car with a BE3, there are some changes, such as gear lever brackets, and other bolt-on parts (all swappable)

What isn't easily swappable are the gear ratios. There are a multitude of different gear and final drive ratios available.

You must make sure you get the right one for your engine, or you will either find you get into 5th at about 35mph and are then revving like mad on the motorway (undergeared), or alternatively can't get into 5th untill over 60mph, and the car can't maintain speed on anything other than downhill sections of motorway (overgeared).
This is not a signature.
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

fastandfurryous wrote:Which is actually called a BE1 (actually, BE1/5for a 5-speed, or BE1/4 for a 4-speed)
Thanks f&f :oops:
Some of my memory arrays are really slow in addressing mode :roll:
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
AARONM3

Post by AARONM3 »

Cheers guys.

The one in the ZX is £75- does that seem like a good price? I know it's all mileage dependent and such but as a ballpark figure....?
AARONM3

Post by AARONM3 »

It took a little while but last weekend I got hold of a nice low mileage Xantia box for £70 and dropped it off at the garage expecting to have the car back by now.

Unfortunately the Peugeot-gods were not smiling on me and now I've been told it needs a new clutch (ideally) and (defintely) a new flywheel.

Now the prices for Pug flywheels seem to be extortionate so what I want to know is are there decent aftermarket ones available at a reasonable price that perhaps would even be better than stock or if flywheels from other Pug/Citroen models would fit so I can expand my second hand search beyond Xsi specific ones? I'm guessing a 205GTi flywheel would be okay and they'd be more chance of getting a lightweigh one.