Fitting New Clutch Cable 306 TD?

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

noncat

Fitting New Clutch Cable 306 TD?

Post by noncat »

Have seen mention of this issue before, but not the solution!
How do you get sufficient access to the engine side of the bulkhead to release old cable, and engage clip fitting of the new?
Removal of intercooler and associated pipe work does not enable enough access.
Car is 1997 R reg 1.9DT 5 door.(Airrcon fitted)
Thanks for any practical solutions others have found
Edited by - noncat on 14 Dec 2002 17:33:48
noncat

Post by noncat »

Now replying to my own post with advice to others, particularly if air con fitted.
Following advice received via "Honest Johns Technical Forum"
"Firstly is your car fitted with air con? Because the pipes cover the cable where it goes through the bulkhead and its a pig of a job. This requires unfastening the pipes on the offside and utilising levers(bits of wood) to try and move the pipes down and forward to give a bit of space to get the bulkhead mount through and out. The engine mount should also be unfastened on the offside, the engine supported and moved forward/up/down to give marginally more space. Ablock of wood betwen it and the bulkhead will hold it forward. I also had to butcher a small plastic cable mounting bracket on the bulkhead to give some space. It really is that tight! The car needs to be on ramps to be able to work from underneath.
If the car does not have air con then it should be relatively easy. Unhook cable at clutch end. Pull and unhook cable at clutch pedal end. Fasten piece of strong string or wire on to end and push through bulkhead using blunt instrument. It might come with a pull from underneath but the angle is wrong.
Fasten the new cable on to the wire and pull it back through the bulkhead. Reconnect both ends. Another pair of hands would help with guidence.
Before you start make sure you have the right cable for the gearbox!!!!!!!!!!
Forgot to say that removing the intercooler will not give you any more space and the plastic clip you refer to maybe is the one I needed to butcher(remove). It will be ok without it but make sure the cable is routed right so it is not touching the turbo. A tie wrap round a power steering pipe at the bottom will sort it."
B_Draper
My Cars:

Post by B_Draper »

Looks like you're going to have fun this Xmas!