Does changing a head gasket require cambelt replacement?

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

TomH
My Cars:

Does changing a head gasket require cambelt replacement?

Post by TomH »

Can't remember if I've asked this before, but as I'm on about 66,000 I'm starting to wonder about the cambelt!

The head gasket was replaced about 18 months ago, under warranty. I assume that the cambelt needs removal to get the head off, but would it be standard practice to put a new one on? Is it possible to put the old one back on if they are cutting costs? (warranty job by the garage I bought it from!)
I don't seem to have the right tool to get the cover off at the moment, so can't check the condition!! (The old clips on the ZX were much easier!)
fastandfurryous
My Cars:

Post by fastandfurryous »

It would have been fairly pointless not to change the belt, but being as it was a garage that did it, I doubt they would have gone to the extra expense.

I'd check on the receipt. If it doesn't say it was changed, don't assume it was.
This is not a signature.
TomH
My Cars:

Post by TomH »

I don't have a receipt because I didn't pay for anything!
reblack68
My Cars:

Post by reblack68 »

I'd say it definitely wasn't replaced. There's no reason to replace the belt with the head gasket, it's just a convenient time to do it, so it wouldn't have been done.
Richard

No French cars of my own at present.
Care of a 1994 205 D.
Homer
My Cars: Current:
Volvo V60 D4 180

Previous:
BX16RS (two of),
BX19TZI,
Xantia 2.0i saloon,
Xantia 2.0 Exclusive CT turbo Break,
Peugeot 807 2.0 HDi 110,
Renault Grand Scenic, 2.0 diesel (150bhp)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi 160 which put me off French cars possibly forever

Post by Homer »

It may not be required but it would be good practice to have replaced it.

Shame you didn't ask them to do it at the time (even if it meant paying for the belt).

Would they have risked not replacing it though?

There's only one thing to do if you're not sure though. Replace it. Especially if you think it may have been off and back on.
LeicsVTR
My Cars:

Post by LeicsVTR »

I would have thought most professionals would have done the cam belt as a matter of course when doing a head gasket - it's just convention.

Probably better to air on the side of caution, however! As we all know, a failing cam belt is as much fun as bathing in vinegar after walking through a thorny bush naked.
'00 Saxo VTR
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

LeicsVTR wrote:I would have thought most professionals would have done the cam belt as a matter of course when doing a head gasket - it's just convention.
Most professionals would but warranty wont so it likely wouldnt have got done.also dont go by what the belt looks like,a belt that looks ok can be deceving.