dead expert???

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

glennboardman
My Cars:

dead expert???

Post by glennboardman »

:( Hi anyone outhere,with sugestions for a replacment engine for my very sad,Pug expert.
Major probs caussed by cambelt snaping,leading to cam shatering,valves bendig,conrods etc..etc
The upshot of this being,im now looking at a bill in exess of 500 in bits alone,so the qestion is,repair or replace?
The van currantly has the DW8 1900 none turbo fitted,wich i have heard is a bit of a duckegg.
Sooo is there anything out that will at a pinch marry up to the bellhousing,hopefully somthing that can be salvaged from a free to good home or similar.
Many thanks in anticipation.
glennboardman
My Cars:

Post by glennboardman »

Just as a ps to the above,the van in qestion was first reg,d in 96 a good 3/4 years before the dw8 came into production,so will it be a smple case of putting a xud type back in or is there more to it than that :oops:
PowerLee
My Cars: Current - Slightly modified 2016 Pug 308 Puretech 130 Allure
Past:
2003 - 206 GLX TU3JP & 206 SE ET3JP4
1995 - 405 Executive XU10J2
1996 - 406 GLX XU10J4R
1994 - 405 GTX XU10J2

Post by PowerLee »

Just watch the immobiliser unit on the fuel pump :wink:

Swop your fuel pump onto the new engine you are fitting.
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Gb-man -

Why not swap the head with a complete recon unit ?
It is not that big a job compared to replacing the complete engine - and would not cost you the same as a good replacement engine.
The recon head is ready to fit - and AFAIR it comes ready to fit with HG & new bolts.
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
fastandfurryous
My Cars:

Post by fastandfurryous »

only slight problem with that.... removing a head on an expert van is almost impossible. The access is non-existant. Far easier to remove the engine.

A good 1.9D XUD will be available for no more than a few tenners from a breakers, or from a dead 405/xantia or similar. Long job, but not complex.
This is not a signature.
Wookey
(Donor 2019)
My Cars: Peugeot Expert 1.9D (Camper conversion) (2003-now)

I had much the same problem

Post by Wookey »

Hi, I don't have an engine to help you with but I did have much the same problem about a year ago. My 1997 XUD9A (D9B) died (due to swirl chamber falling out and making a mess of head). I replaced it with a 1995 XUD9TE from a Xantia. Not sure exactly what the differences with the DW8 are but may be able to provide some clues. There are pics here:
http://www.wookware.org/pics/van/page004.html

I had a fair amount of trouble from going from NA to turbo, most particularly with the gearbox which bolted on, but didn't actually allow turbo intake piping to fit without some heavy-duty bodgery. Entire job cost about GBP 600 and 5 weekends.

GEtting the engine out is remarkably easy as the whole front of the engine bay comes off quite easily.
Wookey
(2003-now:1997 Peugeot Expert stealth camper, 1991-2003:1987 C15)
Wookey
(Donor 2019)
My Cars: Peugeot Expert 1.9D (Camper conversion) (2003-now)

Re: dead expert???

Post by Wookey »

glennboardman wrote::( Hi anyone outhere,with sugestions for a replacment engine for my very sad,Pug expert.
replace?
The van currantly has the DW8 1900 none turbo fitted.
Sooo is there anything out that will at a pinch marry up to the bellhousing,hopefully somthing that can be salvaged from a free to good home or similar.
Many thanks in anticipation.
This table gives a useful cross-reference on engines and gearboxes:
http://www.gsfcarparts.com/downloads/peumodels.pdf
So if you have an ML5T then everything should fit. I don't think mine had one of these though - it seemed to be a BE3. I would love to find a reference to the ratios and diffs of these gearboxes as I really want want with higher gears that what I have (it's very noisy on the motorway above 65mph).
Wookey
(2003-now:1997 Peugeot Expert stealth camper, 1991-2003:1987 C15)
glennboardman
My Cars:

Post by glennboardman »

Cheers Wookey for the pics, :shock: by the looks of things,i think you went the right way changing engines,we dident have as much bottom end carnage as that! so went for the head being remanufactured instead,its still in the shop :x
Still,not t" worry its been lovely weather here over the bank jollies,& that prompted me into dusting about eighteen months worth of crud from the old push iron and heading for the country.
When i say country,Thay do serve ploughmans lunch!
Anywho thanks for the intrest,and hope ya had a good weekend :wink: