Am I worrying too much about Servicing?

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Pheonix

Am I worrying too much about Servicing?

Post by Pheonix »

Hi All,

I have a 95' 106 XN 1.0. Its coming up to 80,000 miles, which according to Peugeot's website means Service C time.

I've been umming and arring about getting it done. I don't need everything doing, I got the cambelt changed at 72,000, I did the air filter and oil change myself at Christmas etc. I've just tried to do the spark plugs, and I've done three, but I'm buggered if I can get the fourth out!

So, should I be getting the service done ASAP? Or given the age of the car, am I better off forgetting about it and just running it into the ground as it were? Or are bits gonna start to fall off v. soon if I don't get it done :D
Regards
Joe
PowerLee
My Cars: Current - Slightly modified 2016 Pug 308 Puretech 130 Allure
Past:
2003 - 206 GLX TU3JP & 206 SE ET3JP4
1995 - 405 Executive XU10J2
1996 - 406 GLX XU10J4R
1994 - 405 GTX XU10J2

Post by PowerLee »

It doesnt cost much in parts or time to service this 106.

Just look after it & it will go for many more years yet :wink:

Spark plugs also come out far easier when warm :wink:
pugxpert

Post by pugxpert »

your c service should get all the filters,front/rear brake check ,brake fluid /antifreeze change and a good check over.i would go for the p3 budget service, discount service for older vehicles 149 sheets i think!!
EP6T petrol turbo nice engine in the 207 GT and the new mini....
Pheonix

Post by Pheonix »

Hi There,

I've already done the air filter, changed the oil filter at christmas, done 3 of the spark plugs (can't get the fourth to bloody budge!!!) and the cambelt has been done recently too.

So, not alot needs doing. However whats more worrying is I found a load of mayonnaise under the oil filler cap today :(

However the cars been doing really short journeys. And also, this must have been in the last month, after I changed the spark plugs, as I checked it then and it was fine. So I'm wondering if its something I've done. I've checked the coolant levels, which are the same, the dipstick oil is coming out fine, and when I stuck my finger under the cap area inside the crank case cover, the mayonnaise seemed to stop after about half a finger...so I'm praying its just condensation!

If I take it to a garage, can they test the coolant for hydrocarbons? I've heard this will tell me whether it has blown or not, for sure.
Regards
Joe
nxh66

Post by nxh66 »

My 1.4i zx gets mayo too with a lot of short runs and never looses any coolant, has been like it ever since i got the car 40,000k ago. Normally find it all dissapears with a good long thrash down the motorway!!
98 zx 1.4i temptation, wanting a xsara VTS!
53 Riley RME- 27000 miles.
Pheonix

Post by Pheonix »

nxh66 wrote:My 1.4i zx gets mayo too with a lot of short runs and never looses any coolant, has been like it ever since i got the car 40,000k ago. Normally find it all dissapears with a good long thrash down the motorway!!
Hi Mate,

Thanks for your support - so far this is what I've found. Took it on a 400 mile round trip and they mayo has disappeared!

The service is on my list of things to do. However the brakes were done at the MOT because there was a problem with the back brakes not performing as spec, so hopefull there won't be any problems with those!
Regards
Joe