205 TU Engine.

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

alanshep

205 TU Engine.

Post by alanshep »

Hello.

I have a 205 with the 1124cc TU series engine. I would like to replace the valve stem oil seals. I would expect to remove the head to do this. I've read the Haynes book and it describes that great care is needed in removing the cylinder head to avoid disturbing the wet liners.

I would appreciate comments from anybody who has taken the head of one of these - is there a real danger of disturbing the wet liners?

Alternatively, I've seen a number of valve spring compressors that claim to allow this job to be done without removing the head. Has anybody any experience of changing the valve stem oil seals on this engine without removing the head?

Thankyou.

Alan.
PowerLee
My Cars: Current - Slightly modified 2016 Pug 308 Puretech 130 Allure
Past:
2003 - 206 GLX TU3JP & 206 SE ET3JP4
1995 - 405 Executive XU10J2
1996 - 406 GLX XU10J4R
1994 - 405 GTX XU10J2

Post by PowerLee »

A nice long length of nylon string through the sparkplug hole & then compressing it by turning the engine slowly to raise the piston to the top of its stroke works wonders :wink:

Holds those valves shut a treat :D
alanshep

Post by alanshep »

Does anybody have any recommendations as to what type of spring compressor to use for this job?

I've seen some which are basically a lever with a hook on one end and the spring compressor in the middle. I guess you are supposed to position the hook under some suitable part of the cyclinder head and align the compressor with the spring and then simply push down. Has anybody used one of these?

Thanks.

Alan.
macaroni
My Cars:

Post by macaroni »

I have removed the head from my 205xs many times and no particular special care is needed, just don't turn the engine with the head off.

I personally wouldn't bother trying to replace the seals with the head in place, you may as well replace the head gasket, decoke it and get a few thou skimmed off the head at the same time. That doesn't cost much and would make the car run sweeter and you also know the gasket has been changed.