405 Heater

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

stevieb

405 Heater

Post by stevieb »

Mainly for Nick, but also for anybody else who needs to know.

The heater in a late model 405 lives above the passenger footwell, and is held in with three philips screws. The usual plug/socket combo connects it to the loom.

With the three screws out the heater will drop straight out.

The motor can be extracted from the housing but needs a bit of leverage from a couple of different angles at once to squeeze it past the rubber bungs that keep it tight in there.

Once the motor's out you'll see the commutator and brushes quite clearly, and in the case of Nick's, you'll see it's scored all the way round. If you can get a small piece of fine wet & dry, or one of those abrasive fibre-glass pencils, in at the commutator then you should be able to true it a little, and get some more life out of it.

A blow out with contact cleaner will help a lot too.
nickmurphy

blower

Post by nickmurphy »

cheers stevie, you're a diamond
stevieb

Re: blower

Post by stevieb »

nickmurphy wrote:cheers stevie, you're a diamond
Nah, just a shiny bit of glass... :D

A word of warning - if you choose to test the motor out of the housing I recommend clamping it in a vice. The torque when it starts up is enough to pull it clean out of your hands - particularly if it doesn't catch straight away, and decides to start when you're trying to work out why nothing's happening.

I mounted it in a vice when I first opened it up (vice not too tight to avoid crushing it), and couldn't believe just how much it was trying to break out of the grip of the vice.
demag
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: "H" Citroen Bx Tgs Automatic.
2006 Toyota Prius T4 Gen 2.

Post by demag »

While on the subject, i don't get much puff out of mine in the footwells. If I open the face vents it blows my head off!

Is there any adjustment to the vent mechanism?

Didn't I read somewhere that a stepper motor controls them?

In the cold weather the missus always moans (don't they all :roll: ) how stuffy the car is with the heater on and yet my feet never get really hot.

Thanks.
Dave
2011 Peugeot 3008 1.6hdi Exclusive EGS.
'04 C5 auto estate 2.2 hdi. Gone.
Bx 1.6 TGS Auto 50k A rare beast by all accounts. A bit tired but getting better by the day. Gone.
'96 XM 2.5TD VSX.......Sadly sold. What an idiot! I should have held on to that.
PowerLee
My Cars: Current - Slightly modified 2016 Pug 308 Puretech 130 Allure
Past:
2003 - 206 GLX TU3JP & 206 SE ET3JP4
1995 - 405 Executive XU10J2
1996 - 406 GLX XU10J4R
1994 - 405 GTX XU10J2

Post by PowerLee »

Hi

The vent control position is by a steel cable clipped on the back of the heater panel :wink: