Oil leak

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

TomH
My Cars:

Oil leak

Post by TomH »

Car is a Peugeot 306 1.6 with the 8v TU series engine.

I've recently noticed a lot of oil in the engine bay, and some on the drive! Seems to be coming from right at the top on the left by the cambelt cover(see photos) Any ideas? Praying it isn't the head gasket as it's already been done (about a year and 10,000 miles ago). :?

Edit: thinking about it, could it be something simple like the valve cover not being replaced property following adjustment of tappets for example? That job was done a couple of months ago, although the oil leak was not immediately apparent.
James.UK
My Cars:

Post by James.UK »

Looks like a rocker cover leak to me, replace the gasket and see if that solves the problem. :)

I think you need to make sure no oil has gotten onto your cam belt as well, if it has, give it a good clean. Oil and cambelts are a very bad mixture.. :shock: :roll: :oops: :(
James. (Nr M67 East of Manchester).
Dark Blue ZX 1.9D Auto 1994 'L' 5 dr (modified) Aura. 98K miles used daily. Ave mpg 40
Wedgewood Blue 75 CTD auto Connoissaur. 2002. 144k. used daily. ave mpg 40 ish.
stevieb

Post by stevieb »

Had the oil leak on my old 405 some years back, which was the head gasket. The leak seemed to work its way down past the timing belt though, and trickle out at the lower back corner of the block - you wouldn't know it was leaking just by looking under the bonnet.

I'd agree with James, looks like a rocker cover leak. Possibly the rubber seal has begun to split or harden, and is no longer holding the pressure back. And these things always fail at the corners...

Also worth checking your oil filter. Very unlikely I know, but if the seal has gone on that it could be spraying out in any direction. It's in the right area.