406 Plip and Wipers

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

stevieb

406 Plip and Wipers

Post by stevieb »

I've replaced the vibrating 405 with a nice red 2.0 litre petrol turbo 406 Executive, for a bargain price.

It has 84,000 miles on it though, and one or two niggles.

The first one is that I can't "tune in" the RF key plip. I follow the instructions in the owners manual, but the car just doesn't seem to pick up the plip. The plip has new batteries and the light illuminates. Is it likely to be the plip (there look to be a few ropey soldered joints in it), or the receiver? If it's the receiver, does anybody have any idea where this lives?

Alternatively I might just take it to an aftermarket alarm dealer and have a decent alarm fitted. Is that a better option?

The second one should be an easy one. Every so often the wipers stall or stutter part way across the windscreen. This only happens on the return part of the cycle, and only when they are about to park themselves. It doesn't happen on a continuous wipe. I'm guessing there's some kind of "park" switch or sensor that is either sticking or has a dodgy contact/terminal. Does anybody know where this is?

These aren't major problems, and may well go off or sort themselves in time as the car has been stood for a few months, but I've got nothing else to do this weekend and fancied a tinker.
PowerLee
My Cars: Current - Slightly modified 2016 Pug 308 Puretech 130 Allure
Past:
2003 - 206 GLX TU3JP & 206 SE ET3JP4
1995 - 405 Executive XU10J2
1996 - 406 GLX XU10J4R
1994 - 405 GTX XU10J2

Post by PowerLee »

Hi

406 Executive sounds very nice, What year is it?

How does the handbook say to tune the plips in? The early handbooks had the WRONG information printed in them & it wont work if you follow the advice.

It sounds like the park switch in the wiper motor needs cleaning or the motor need replacing.
stevieb

Post by stevieb »

It's a late '97 model. I prefer the pre-facelifted 406, so it worked out better than the later V6 I'd had my eye on, and less likely to cost me my license. The fact it's an 8-valve makes DIY a little easier too (same basic idea to change timing belt as the 1.9 TD - no nasty extra camshafts to confuse matters). It was only half the price of the V6, so I can't really complain. The V6 was a 2000 model I think, with only 32,000 miles on it. If anybody fancies it, it's at a dealership in Doncaster - now knocked down to £2695.

Handbook says to turn on ignition, type in my code, press "CC" (two bleeps), press plip button (three bleeps), then press second plip button (or first one again) (four bleeps), then press "CC" again (five bleeps).

Needless to say this hasn't been successful. It just seems to time-out and give me a long whinging kind of a bleep after about 10 seconds.

I don't fancy activating automatic mode until I know the key will do what I want it to.

What's your experience Powerlee? I know PSA alarms aren't the best, but the alarm on the old 405 stopped the thieving little scumbags getting in on more than one occasion, so I'm willing to persevere getting this one sorted.
PowerLee
Past:
1996 - 406 GLX XU10J4R
1994 - 405 GTX XU10J2

Post by PowerLee »

That ISN'T the keyfob plip relearning instructions.

Thats the instructions to make the keyfobs unlock the keypad immboiliser for one minute only when the plip is used to unlock the car & they are wrong anyway!

I think ( About 6 years since ive done one ) You need to turn the ignition on & press the large button on BOTH the plips, one after the other.

The 406 with RF plips ( like yours ) uses a rolling code system.

The 406 alarm is ok while its working, Also the 406 has deadlocks, Press big plip button & then within 3 seconds little plip button to deadlock the car & arm the alarm.

Also see if your 406 has the total window closure feature fitted, open all 4 windows & remotely deadlock the car.

The keypad immobiliser on your 406 is still Thatcham Cat 2 approved.

Do your heated seats work ( fingers crossed ) Also has the climate control system started clicking from the air intake flap motor yet ( Far far easier to change then the 405 one )

To test the heated seats turn the igntion on but dont start the engine.

Listen for the small fan whirring at the cabin temp sensor on the centre panel of the dash.

Switch a heated seat on, Does the whirring get slower?

Turn the first seat off & try the second seat.

You might be lucky & have working heated seats but seeing as Peugeot cocked the design up ( Who needs a thermostat on heated seats ) I doubt it.

Another thing is whenever the battery is disconnected the electric windows need reprogramming, Easy to do when you know how.
stevieb

Post by stevieb »

Ah, cheers mate. I'll try that with the plip tomorrow.

The instructions I posted above are described as "Initialisation of the high frequency remote control by the keypad". Like I say, I get none of the bleeps I should get. Just the time-out bleep.

Why does it not surprise me that the manual isn't right...??? And we complain about Haynes manuals... Typical that it would happen on an RF key. If it was an IR key I have the ability to test that it's outputting signal.

Total window closure is fitted, and works when deadlocking with the key. Will check with plip when I can get it to speak to the rest of the car. I also like the ability to disable the rear electric windows. I remember being in my cousins Cavalier V6 when his then 9 month old daughter reached out for the window button and managed to open it - at motorway speed. Needless to say she screamed for the next 30 minutes.

Climate control is fine. I had the clicking on the 405. I remember reading that the gear on the flap motor can be changed for one you can get for model cars/boats, and that'll fix it. Whether the 406 is the same I don't know.

Haven't made my mind up about the heated seats yet. I don't think either work, as I can't feel anything from them - not a problem as the car warms up pretty quick anyway. I'll check them out tomorrow.

One thing I forgot to ask. What does the button with the siren logo on it do? It's on the right hand side of the steering wheel, where the cruise control button lives (one thing that's missing on this car). Is it the emergency cut-off button? (Unlock with key, alarm goes off, jump in quick, press button, start car as normal to shut off siren). The manual shows the emergency cut-off button by the handbrake, but this is where I have my heated seat buttons.
PowerLee
Past:
1996 - 406 GLX XU10J4R
1994 - 405 GTX XU10J2

Post by PowerLee »

Im not sure on the emergency procedure to turn the alarm off.

I THINK form memory its the following but have a search on the forum too.

Open the car with the key.

Press & hold the alarm button on the dash & within 10 seconds turn the ignition on.

Alarm should now disarm.

Peugeot did release a 4 page handbook supplement for the early 406 called " The 406 key guid "
Your local dealer may still have a copy of it, They photocopied it for me but I left mine with the handbook pack when I sold my 406 on.

If the heated seats arent working I know how to fix them, I had to do this on my 405 Executive.

You can also fit a thermostat so they dont burn out, Cost is less then £10 per seat but you have to take the seat out of the car & strip it down to repair & fit the thermostat & its a long old job.
If you feel up to it ill post how to do it but be warned its not for the faint hearted!

The 406 flap motor can have the nasty click click click, It all depends on which flap motor Peugeot fitted at the factory that day, Unlike the 405 that used just one part the 406 used at least 4 different ones & maybe more.
stevieb

Post by stevieb »

Pressing the plip button twice while it's in the ignition didn't do anything, unfortunately. I tried it with just the ignition on, and again with the engine running. And tried it with and without keypad code keyed in.

The plip still doesn't speak to the car.

Methinks the alarm may be sh*gg*d.

I'll try getting hold of one of the guides you mention Powerlee, and if that fails, then I think I'll invest in a proper alarm.
PowerLee
Past:
1996 - 406 GLX XU10J4R
1994 - 405 GTX XU10J2

Post by PowerLee »

Hi

The alarm shouldnt be faulty, Thats just an add on unit at the factory & connects to the remote locking system.

Its just the remote locking plip thats not working.

I take it you have also checked all the fuses in the fuse box? It might be something simple like a blown fuse.
pugxpert

Post by pugxpert »

have you got both plips? if you have check inside and there is a label with the code no on ,check that this no is the same ,also written in there is pri or sec this is primary and secondry check you do not have 2 pri or 2 sec should have one of each.to re synchronise plip turn on ignition and press large button within 5 secs then remove key and carry out the same operation for 2nd key.If no good ckeck battery connections there were a few where poor connections led to plips going out of sync there was a modified battery set which included a spacer washer to go under battery part no 9926jy i think? .Your alarm if set and plip not working enter car (alarm goes off) turn on ignition and press ultrasonic button on dash this switces alarm off. once you get your plip working to overide it on keypad you need to first tune it to the keypad. enter your keypad code then press cc (thats the c button twice) you here 2 bleeps then push button on plip (here some more bleeps) then 2nd plip,then finally cc again more bleeps confirming.(if only one plip just do it twice).wait for keypad to lock again (flashing red light) then enter your code then enter c1c this then switches on unlocking of keypad with plip.(c0c)will switch it off again.this function only works on cars with 2 button plips ,single button infared will not work. :wink:
EP6T petrol turbo nice engine in the 207 GT and the new mini....
stevieb

Post by stevieb »

Cheers pugxpert. I have only one plip key, the spare is just a plain key. The owners manual says ther may be one or two keys, though doesn't explain why.

I'll try it with the one plip twice and see what happens.

I'll try both keys too.
stevieb

Post by stevieb »

Still no joy. I tried all variations involving pressing the button within 5 seconds of turning on the ignition. (Keys inserted in different orders etc.) Should I hear a bleep when the car picks up the new code? I get no bleep whilst trying to set it, and after each attempt the plip won't activate the central locking.

Plip label does say it's the Primary one, and the light illuminates when pressing the button.

All fuses are intact - the owners manual doesn't mention the extra boxes of fuses under the bonnet - but they're all okay anyway.

I have an extra key, like a keyswitch key, and the manual refers to a switch to disable the siren located in the boot, but I can't find it. It doesn't appear to be anywhere under the bonnet either. Could this key be for a full alarm disable switch? If so, can anybody suggest where else it might be located?

I should also say the battery was replaced just prior to me collecting the car, so obviously everything needs setting up again. If there is a switch to turn off the alarm completely, I guess it might have been turned off prior to removing the old battery...
stevieb

Post by stevieb »

stevieb wrote:Still no joy. I tried all variations involving pressing the button within 5 seconds of turning on the ignition (twice)(keys inserted in different orders etc.) Should I hear a bleep when the car picks up the new code? I get no bleep whilst trying to set it, and after each attempt the plip won't activate the central locking.

Plip label does say it's the Primary one, and the light illuminates when pressing the button.

All fuses are intact - the owners manual doesn't mention the extra boxes of fuses under the bonnet - but they're all okay anyway.

I have an extra key, like a keyswitch key, and the manual refers to a switch to disable the siren located in the boot, but I can't find it. It doesn't appear to be anywhere under the bonnet either. Could this key be for a full alarm disable switch? If so, can anybody suggest where else it might be located?

I should also say the battery was replaced just prior to me collecting the car, so obviously everything needs setting up again. If there is a switch to turn off the alarm completely, I guess it might have been turned off prior to removing the old battery...
pugxpert

Post by pugxpert »

maybe your plip has seen better days or the hf receiver under dash behind glovebox is faulty?? the siren key switch is in boot below right hand tail light hole in carpet.this just switches the siren noise off and not the hole alarm.
stevieb

Post by stevieb »

I'm tempted to think it's the receiver.

I can't imagine the plip giving up transmitting the RF without the LED giving up too. Then again, the receiver is well protected...

I'll have another play tomorrow.
pugxpert

Post by pugxpert »

hf receiver has a 9 pin white connector pin 2b is igntion supply through fuse 12 pin 3b is permanent supply from fuse 15 pin 1b is earth if you have all these supplys and earths its the receiver or plip.