205 GTi Outer CV Joint Boots

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

205 GTi Outer CV Joint Boots

Post by CitroJim »

My GTi had an MOT advisory that one CV boot was perished and should be replaced. I got one from the former sponsors of this forum but due many reasons I had my local garage fit it. The mechanic said the boot was poor quality (very hard) and he had a devil of a job to cone it on; the only way as the joints won't split. He told me it would not stay on long and he was right! Not a month later and the wheelarch came in for some impromptu rust proofing courtesy of the grease flying everywhere.

I obtained one of those universal stretchy boots amde by Corteco (from the same source) and coned it on myself today. The way they stretch over the cone reminds me of my children being born but I digress...

I read the bit of paper that came with the boot kit (after I'd fitted it) and it says that they are for "emergency repair work only". This has surprised me a bit and I wonder just what they mean by the statement. Can anyone shed any light? It seems good quality, nice and soft and pliable and I see no reason why it should not last a reasonable time.

Grateful for any thoughts on this and any experiences with these particular boots. Thanks.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...